Position changes result in new Greek advisers

Beginning fall semester of 2013, the Greek community will be undergoing a complete change in leadership.

In the fall, Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Diversity and Office of Multicultural Programs Virgil Jones will become the new adviser to Inter-Greek Senate (IGS).  Current IGS Adviser Megan Ruble will join Jones, Associate Dean of Students Stephen Bennett, and Dean of Students and Vice President for Student Life JoNes VanHecke as an Assistant Dean of Students, along with her current responsibilities as Director of Student Activities.

“Pete [Meagher] is leaving, so Virgil was promoted into Pete’s job, and I’ll be joining the team of Deans,” Ruble said.  “It has happened before where a Director also has responsibilities as a Dean, so this isn’t unprecedented.  JoNes offered to take something off my plate, because I couldn’t take on additional responsibilities without some relief, and so as we were looking at my responsibilities, advising the Greeks had the clearest boundaries so someone could take over all of the duties, without sharing them.”

“I’ve been advising the Greeks for over ten years, so I think it’s a good time to allow someone else to come in and share their new ideas and fresh perspectives,” Ruble said.  “I trust and value Virgil, and am confident that he has the skills and abilities necessary to advise the Greeks.”

Jones is preparing to take on his new responsibilities while also managing his current tasks and projects.

“I am excited to work with the Greek community at Gustavus,” Jones said.  “I am trying to learn more each day about the Greek Community at Gustavus in anticipation for assuming that role in the fall of 2013.  I have had many wonderful interactions with so many students who have been or are currently connected with both national and local Greek organizations.  I hope that my extensive experience working with student organizations will provide all of us working with Greek organizations with a new lens to upgrade the collaborative work that has been happening already.”

IGS and the Greek chapters are thankful for Ruble’s work, and the work of Graduate Assistant and Greek Life Adviser Blair Whitney, who will also be leaving at the end of this academic year.

“We are excited to have Virgil as the new Greek Adviser,” Junior IGS Co-President Marley Clark said.  “Megan has been in the position for quite a while, and she has been great, but we are ready to have some new ideas and perspectives in the Greek system.  It is going to be difficult at first bringing two new advisers into the system, so there will be a lot of teaching them how the Greek system is run, but we expect it to further the system and create positive change.”

Katelyn Spooner, next year’s Graduate Assistant and Greek Life Adviser, will begin working with the Greeks on August 15, 2013.

“Fall is one of the busiest times for the Greek community, so it’s going to be trial by fire for both new advisers, neither of whom have past Greek advising experience,” Ruble said.  “I don’t want to stick around and get in their way as they grow, but I also don’t want to leave anyone floundering, and want to be helpful to them, if they need it.”

“The IGS co-presidents had a part in selecting Spooner, and she was their top choice, so I’m pleased that they have confidence in her skills and ability to communicate,” Ruble said.