Gustavus students receive prestigious scholarships

A trio of Gustavus students have been recognized for their achievements through various honorable scholarships. These include the NCAA Post-Graduate Scholarship, the Goldwater Scholarship, and the Phillips Scholar Program.

Sophomore Political Science Major Nicole Ektnitphong has been named a Jay and Rose Phillips Scholar for the 2013-2014 academic year. Ektnitphong is one of six Minnesota college students to receive this honor, after first entering a pool of sixteen finalists.

The Philips Scholars Program recognizes and rewards Minnesota Private College students who strive to help Minnesota communities in need. The program supports student leaders who excel academically, as well as within their own communities. It includes a $12,000 scholarship that will be split between the student’s junior and senior years, as well as a $4,000 summer stipend to fund the creation of the student’s self-designed project, with an extra $500 to pay for additional resources.

“I plan to use this award to implement a program I created called, ’Leading from Within,’” Ektnitphong said. “Leading from Within is a vocational and leadership development summer program for transitioning seniors at Worthington High School (WHS). This program will focus on developing personal leadership through three main points: vocation, self-awareness, and authenticity. This designed curriculum will take students through powerful discoveries of one’s calling, understanding not only what one’s desires and passions are, but how those are played out through action and relationships as well as recognizing strengths and areas for improvement, and reflection as a leader, thinking and living with intentionality, meaning, and purpose,” Ektnitphong said.

Ektnitphong currently is a Gustavus Ambassador, an advocacy coordinator for the Habitat for Humanity executive board, serves as an ambassador in the Servant Leadership Program, and plays violin in the Gustavus Symphony Orchestra. In addition to majoring in Political Science, Ektnitphong has minors in both Peace Studies and Civic Leadership. She also plans to study abroad in the fall of 2013 in India, with the college’s Social Justice, Peace, and Development program.

“I have a true passion for service and being intentional about life. I know we can all be better individually and collectively we can move forward as a community. Whatever I do in the future, I would love nothing more than to truly hone my skills and passion in connecting with others in a meaningful way, sharing the journey of intentionally living a life of purpose. I have many interests and these make up who I am—all of these are what make me a wholesome me,” Ektnitphong said.

Senior Music Education Major Beth Hauer is the recipient of a NCAA Post-Graduate Scholarship, given to 174 student-athletes each year, with each receiving $7,500. To qualify, student-athletes must excel both academically and athletically. They must be in their final year of eligibility, planning to pursue graduate studies, and nominated by their institution’s faculty athletics representative.

“My interests include teaching and making music, running, and reading. I find working hard to get better at both playing my instrument and running to be very rewarding, and I love spending time with the people I’m in ensembles with and my teammates,” Hauer said.

Heavily involved on campus, Hauer is a member of Study Buddies, cross country, and track and field.

Hauer has been a part of the Cross Country team since her freshman year. She has competed in 27 cross country races  between 2009 and 2012. She has also earned All-Conference honors and All-Region distinction both three times in 2010, 2011, 2012. Finishing strong in her senior season, Hauer took 12th with a time of 23:01.0, recorded as  her best finish at the MIAC Championships and 56th at NCAA National Championships with a 6k time of 22:26.

In addition to her athletic prowess, Hauer has spent her time at Gustavus in many different bands, including the Gustavus Wind Orchestra, the Vasa Wind Orchestra, the Gustavus Jazz Lab Band, Trombone Choir, and the Tuba-Euphonium Ensemble. Her primary instrument is the euphonium.

“I’m currently searching for a instrumental music teacher job and am planning to attend a summer program, hopefully at Vandercook College of Music in Chicago, for graduate school to pursue my master’s in music education,” Hauer said. “This program requires that you teach for two years before beginning the program so I’m hoping to teach next year to get experience and then begin the master’s program the following summer,” Hauer said.

Junior Physics Major James Trevathan is the recipient of a 2013 Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship. The Goldwater Scholars were selected on the basis of academic merit from a field of 1,107 mathematics, science, and engineering students who were nominated by the faculties of colleges and universities nationwide, with 271 students receiving the award. The award covers the cost of tuition, fees, books, and room and board up to a maximum of $7,500 per year for two years.

“I am planning on a career researching medical imaging techniques,” Trevathan said. “To do this, I am completing a physics major, and medical school pre-requisites. I plan to attend an M.D./Ph.D. dual-degree program where I will study biomedical engineering. I plan to have a career conducting research in medical imaging,” Trevathan said.

Trevathan, the 19th student at Gustavus to win a Goldwater Scholarship since 1992, has taken advantage of many of the opportunities at Gustavus from doing independent research projects with several members of the Physics Department and exceling as a leader in classes. This past summer, Trevathan earned an opportunity to intern at the Mayo Clinic. He worked under the direction of Dr. Cynthia H. McCollough at the Mayo Clinic’s CT Clinical Innovations Center.

“Outside of classes I am involved in the Society of Physics Students which I am a co-president. I also enjoy outdoor activities such as camping, back-packing, and in particular rock climbing. Because of this I have become involved in Gustavus Outdoor Enthusiasts and am on the leadership of the organization,” Trevathan said.