Gustie of the Week: James Trevathan

When Junior Physics and Computer Science Major James Trevathan has a moment away from sitting through science lectures, working in labs and conducting research, it might not be a surprise that he cherishes the outdoors. James is a member of Gustavus Outdoor Enthusiasts (GOE) and enjoys the adventure and exhilaration of outdoor activities like rock climbing.

Not only is James involved in GOE, but he is also Co-President of the Society of Physics Students (Sigma Phi Sigma). The group of physics majors meets every Friday to engage in activities ranging from volleyball to research presentations.

When he’s not in the lab, James enjoys rock-climbing. Vinny Bartella

James is very passionate about physics, and in fact, his favorite class this semester is Experimental Modern Physics. The class centers primarily around a six-hour lab portion where students repeat physics experiments that have had a significant impact on the field.

His combination of interests in scientific research and passion for the outdoors is reflected in the characteristics others see in him. James is a research associate in Physics Professor Paul Saulnier’s research lab, and Saulnier sees in James the qualities of “hard work, curiosity and a high energy level.” He also appreciates James for the approach he brings to his research lab.

“James is always asking good questions and pushing to get things done in the research lab.  His enthusiasm is contagious,” Saulnier said.

Saulnier is an influential person in James’s life because he first introduced him to research, which has now become very important to him.

“Paul asked me to do research halfway through my freshman year, something I might not have thought about otherwise,” James said.

Since his first foray into research his freshman year, James has worked with both Physics Professor Tom Huber and the Mayo Clinic. Huber commented on the work James did for him two summers ago studying ultrasound excitation.

“James did an extraordinary job in that internship—he was instrumental in writing software that allowed us to acquire and analyze data from our new $300,000 scanning vibrometer and other equipment that had been received with NSF funding,” Huber said.

Huber also discussed the characteristics that James has that will aid him as he enters into the scientific field.

Over the summer, James worked on kidney research at the Mayo Clinic. Vinny Bartella

“He is very talented and creative in his problem-solving and programming, but more important is his strong work ethic.  Because of his work ethic, he would work above and beyond the call of duty in solving the challenges that inevitably arise in a research setting.  We are still using the programs he developed in my research program,” Huber said.

This summer James was an intern at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester where he worked with computed tomography (CT) physics on two projects related to kidney research.

One involved using computed tomography to differentiate between two types of kidney stones while the other measured calcium within patients’ kidneys to track the progress of polycystic kidney disease.

“I like doing research because there’s always a new problem to solve. It’s interesting to always have another problem to look at,” James said.

These opportunities to gain research experience have increased his interest in medical physics, biomedical engineering and research in general. James is looking to take his MCAT in June and apply to the Mayo Clinic for graduate school.

His friends appreciate him for his intelligence and dedication to his academics. They appreciate him for his kindness and supportiveness as well. Sophomore Biology Major Kendyl Greimann first met James in their Organic Chemistry class, and they have since become good friends.

She sees many positive aspects in James and appreciates his positive impact on her life.

“I would characterize him as genuine, intelligent, kind and extremely helpful to anyone who needs him. I feel like his exceptional drive to help others and make a difference in the world will take him wherever he wants to go,” Greimann said.

To demonstrate these characteristics, Greimann shared a summer rock climbing experience where James helped her overcome her fear of heights to scale the wall.

“I didn’t think I was going to rock climb. Ever since I was little I’ve had a fear of heights. But his reassuring smile and words of encouragement convinced me that I would be all right,” she said.

“James has had a very positive impact on me. I have never met such an awesome guy,”Greimann said.

One thought on “Gustie of the Week: James Trevathan

1. I appreciate this post. Thanks for giving us this useful information. An ultrasound machine creates images that allow various organs in the body to be examined. We have a list of nearby schools that are certified to provide the trainings necessary for you to become a Ultrasound Technologist. – Ultrasound.schoolstech.net