Michael Morimoto – Starting out fresh

Michael Morimoto has already made a strong first impression at Gustavus. “He’s one of the nicest, most involved and most unique people I’ve ever met,” First-year Amy Prasad, one of his high school friends, said. He is a “renaissance man” and among the ranks of the most promising First-year students. Michael, a Bloomington native and Gustavus First-year, has many interests and talents that range from singing to Japanese to organizational skills.

His lifelong involvement in the performing arts continues here at Gustavus.  Michael first became interested in the fine arts during elementary school. “My eldest brother Tony played trumpet, and I wanted to be just like him,” Michael said.

Michael got involved in choir and band, leading him right into show choir in high school. Connection, the name of the group, is a class at Michael’s alma mater, Bloomington-Jefferson High School. The class performs and competes throughout the Midwest, which Michael says helps the members grow in friendship and camaraderie.  “With 47 of my best friends in the group, we became one big family,” Michael said.

The emotional thrills of performing are another attractive part of the show choir process to Michael.  “The rush of performing on stage is an indescribable experience.”

Although Gustavus does not offer a comparable group, Michael has discovered new and exciting experiences, performing with the Choir of Christ Chapel and the Nobel Chorus. First-year Karl Grant described Michael’s involvement in the chorus as “curious and impressive seeing as he was the only first-year in the whole group.”

Outlining Michael’s character and involvement in the arts, “Michael is a smart man and quite graceful, not just in his demeanor but in the way he relates to other people. He is currently involved in the Department of Theatre and Dance January Interim Experience production, and you’ll be able to see him perform on the Anderson stage this spring semester,” Michael’s academic adviser and Assistant Professor of Theatre and Dance Henry MacCarthy said.

Michael discovered Gustavus when he came to see Megan Myrhe, now a senior religion major, perform the Vagina Monologues. He says that he originally visited campus with no intentions or expectations of liking the college. However, he fell in love after that first experience with Gustavus. “No other college has the sense of community I experienced here at Gustavus; the Market Place is excellent, and it is a straight shot on Highway 169 from my home, which is nice because I get lost really easily!” Michael said.

Michael plans on pursuing a double major in international business and Japanese and pursuing a minor in classics. He has an intense interest in the Japanese language and culture, stemming from his desire to get in touch with his heritage. Michael would like to use his Japanese language skills to work in Japan. His dream is to become an ambassador to Japan one day.

Michael works as a model at the Abercrombie Kids in the Mall of America and is in training to become an instructor at Lifetime Fitness in Eden Prairie. He would like to study abroad in Tokyo and work there at the Abercrombie corporate flagship.

“My advice to my fellow Gusties is to study what you like or else you won’t like what you will do after college. It is really important to be content with what you are doing in life,” Michael said. He is not one to ignore his own counsel, though. Michael’s love of Japanese and business put him right on track to pursue his life and career goals.

On campus, Michael is involved the Campus Activities Board (CAB) and the CAB Fine Arts Committee. He is also involved in Big Partner Little Partner and can be found at Swing Club on Wednesdays. With good reason, many first-years at Gustavus are big fans of Michael.

“I didn’t really get to know Michael that well, because Jason Pietsch is his biggest fan and always pushes me away,” First-year Sarah Krech said.

“He is such a nice guy. It is always fun to be around him,” First-year Jason Pietsch said.

Many people have described Michael with diverse adjectives, but his roommate, First-year Dylan Bodette, perhaps sums it up the best:  “Michael is a spunky boy.”

7 thoughts on “Michael Morimoto – Starting out fresh

1. Michael, I’m so proud of you and excited for your future adventures! I’m so lucky to call you my cousin! Go Gusties!

2. Wow Michael! What an amazing talent and person that you are! You are an inspiration to us all. Continue to share all of your amazing skills with everyone and enjoy every moment you have at Gustavus.

3. He is an AMAZING individual! What a great article! I’m sure your jet-setting grandma will be visiting you in Japan soon!

4. Way to go, Michael!!!! Keep it up, buddy!!!!:) And next time, invite us to your concert/play, ok?!