Hang in there!

Have you ever watched or read Winnie the Pooh? This is for you.

It has come to the mid-autumn season atop the hill, meaning higher winds for us all. The yellow sugar maples made their sweet journey in the first weeks of October, then the red maples relaxed and let go like Carrie Newcomer sings, and finally, ‘tis the time for the Norwegian maples to test their gusto against November gusts. Meanwhile, those oak trees are lookin’ pretty determined.

I find great wonderment in how creation works together—the wind that steers and guides the clouds to move wherever and whenever is the same force that swirls around the branches and leaves and lets them struggle to control their lives, then let up and let GO.

Speaking of windy days, here’s a little dittie for some of you:
Winnie the Pooh: Happy “Winds-day,” Piglet.

Piglet: [being blown away] Well … it isn’t … very happy … f-for me.
Winnie the Pooh: Where are you going, Piglet?

Piglet: That’s what I’m asking myself, where? W-Whoops! P-P-P-Pooh!
Yikes! This is the time in the semester when routine is established stronger than earlier, and perhaps worries about the “F” word, the “future” rise up. Now then, in the enlivening bursts of the Earth’s wind patterns, is the time to direct that energy into what matters to you. So often I hear (and I confess, I’ve said it too) “There’s just not enough time!” If we “HAVE” anything, it is TIME on this Earth. Use it WELL!

Pooh ends the conversation, inspiring the question to Piglet, “And what do you think you will answer yourself?”

As college students, these four or so years are often intentional time to learn to be grounded amidst the strong winds of opportunity, knowledge and wisdom of all varieties. May the wind remind us of the natural push and flow of life. Its unpredictability reminds me of my humble human nature—I can only do so much in a day, in my time at Gustavus, in my life. What that will be, oh gosh, that’ll be something.

Just as the wind blows with purpose, not knowing exactly where it is bound, channel all that energy you’ve got as a sprightly youth to your passions—-be it academics, athletics, socializing, within reason. Breathe in deep and apply your good mind and good soul to the life you’ve got NOW and for hopefully, DECADES to come! Woot!