Road Rage

Raquel Vaughn-

At first glance, you probably wouldn’t peg me as someone passionate about roads and sidewalks. You wouldn’t think that I have strong opinions about what roads are under construction and which way sidewalks go. But I am that person, and I have many feelings about roads.

I’m from Fairmont, MN, a place that is city enough to have ridiculous potholes but small enough that no one cares to do anything about it. My local Burger King redid its entire parking lot just a year ago. Now you’re able to park in that lot, whereas before you couldn’t even cross from the drive-thru to the exit without hitting five potholes and spilling your Dr. Pepper in the process. Just a week ago, our bowling alley also got a brand new parking lot. There used to be a gigantic hole in the middle of the lot, forcing people to park around it. Do you know how many small children go to Fairmont’s beloved Bowl-Mor for their birthday parties? Many. If the alley is not filled with large, scary men who have a passion for pool and bowling, it’s filled with small children barely seven years old. A seven-year-old could’ve fallen in the vast parking lot hole, probably lost to the world forever. If you think I’m kidding, then ask my other Fairmontites.

Burger King and Bowl-Mor have always needed a glow-up and have been doing a great job improving their look. Not much can be said for Fairmont’s mall or movie theatre. Fairmont 5 Theatres has undergone a massive makeover in recent years. The interior now includes leather reclining chairs with seat warmers, brand new floors, and we anticipate new curtains. All of that is great. Don’t get me wrong, sitting in overused plastic theatre chairs was getting old, and I’m grateful for the improved entertainment, but I want to know when the parking lot will get the same treatment. For instance, after watching Deadpool & Wolverine, I noticed a fallen streetlight chilling along the side of the lot. And don’t even get me started on the mall!

Southern Minnesota could do so much better when it comes to roads. The huge pothole in the turn lane to Fairmont’s McDonald’s could take anybody’s vehicle out. The mess that is Highway 169 south of Lake Crystal is something I always anticipate on my way back home. Nevertheless, Fairmont has been improving. I cannot say the same for any part of northern Iowa. I’ve had to take many trips to Estherville and the difference between Minnesota roads and Iowa roads is astounding. I thought it was bad enough to be driving over what seemed like broomsticks in Minnesota, I might as well be driving over Stanley cups in Iowa.

There’s road construction everywhere I look in Minnesota. It seems like no matter where I live, I always have to drive through some to get to where I want to go. I could probably stuff a backpack full of the amount of times I’ve had to take a detour. My friend told me that their family has a joke—Minnesota has two seasons as opposed to the four: winter and road construction.

Sidewalks are also a passion of mine. Sidewalks are a great resource for everyone, especially those who do not have a car or live in an area with accessible public transportation. However, in this age of advanced technology and privilege, sidewalks have become increasingly less accessible. Most are cracked, overgrown with grass, or just nonexistent. Take my grandma’s street, for example. She lives on the corner of the block with a sidewalk that leads to the library and another sidewalk that leads to the park. The one that leads to the library is good, maybe even acceptable, but not excellent. There’s concrete uplifted from the earth and unnecessary dips. But the sidewalk on the other side that leads to the park stops fifty feet into the journey. Yes, the sidewalk is nonexistent. Rarely do people ever look at sidewalks and consider fixing them the same way they do with roads.

Gustavus used to have straight sidewalks that led right up to each building. And they still do but now they all twist and turn with some direction. I know one thing for sure and that’s that the problem with the sidewalk between Nobel and Convick has been fixed. Nobel and Convick are no longer lakeside. No more ice skating to and from class during the harsh winters. But this problem is fixed at what cost? Now when I follow the path of these new sidewalks, I have to account for an extra two minutes to get to class.

Look, I like roads. Don’t get it twisted just because I’m annoyed at road construction. And I like sidewalks. In fact, I’d love to have more of them. But that’s just the thing—if you’re gonna do construction on a pathway, do it on one that needs it, not on the one that is the path most taken.