Gustavus spring choir concert

Colleen Coleman-

On Sunday, April 7th at 1:30 p.m. in Christ Chapel, the Lucia Singers and Choir of Christ Chapel will perform their Spring Concert, directed by Dr. Andrew Kendall. The performance will include a variety of musical styles, including Baroque pieces, modern hymns, African-American spirituals, and more. This performance will also feature many instrumentalists joining the group, with Senior Sophie Norman as the collaborative pianist of Lucia, Senior Anna Marie Riner and Senior Elle Bergquist joining the Chapel Choir for pieces on piano and cello respectively, Senior Claire Schoenfield joining Lucia for a piece on flute, and Dr. Chad Winterfeldt joining both groups on the organ.

The concert focuses on many aspects of musical history according to Dr. Kendall. “It explores different types of singing, beginning with one of the oldest traditions, especially in the Lutheran church, of hymn singing with ‘O God Beyond All Praising’ and ‘Cantate Domino,’” Dr. Kendall said. The program brings the listeners through many different styles and connections to the music. “The choirs and I hope that the program transports you on a historical journey through bringing out the meaning of texts through song,” Kendall said.

“This concert is not simply a performance, it will be a production filled with music and connection,” Sophomore Lucia Co-President and section leader Emma Berger said. “The work each of these choirs has put in brings me so much pride and I can’t wait to share it with our community. This music holds a special place in my heart and performing it is such a gift”.

Chapel Choir will be performing the world premiere of Paul Smith’s “O God Beyond All Praising,” a new setting of Gustav Holst’s melody from the Jupiter movement of the Planets suite, combined with Michael Perry’s classical hymnal text. Having started on it last December, the group has worked hard to master the piece and its winding melody lines and crisp harmonies. The choir will be joined by Dr. Winterfeldt on the organ, and are all excited to share this new piece of music with the world.

The groups are eager to share their hard work with the Gustavus community. “This is going to be my first choir concert in college and I’m so excited,” First-year and Chapel Choir member Sydney Maller said. “I joined Chapel Choir this semester and I’ve loved it so far, the community is amazing and I can’t wait to share our hard work this weekend,” Maller said. “I’m really looking forward to being able to share our progress this semester with our community and show them how far we’ve come in just a few short months,” First-year and Chapel Choir Co-President Joe Breiter said.

Come see the Lucia Singers and Choir of Christ Chapel showcase their hard work at their Spring Concert on April 7th at 1:30 p.m. in Christ Chapel. The performance will feature the talents of not only the choirs, but many featured instrumentalists and soloists throughout. The program will transport listeners through many musical styles, from traditional and modern hymns to folk songs, and much more.