GAC track teams get off to a scorching start

Brady Boie – Staff Writer

As the calendar rolled over to 2022, the Gustavus Golden Gusties track teams wasted no time making their marks on a New Year. Throughout the first forty-days of 2022, the Gusties have competed on five separate occasions and have exceeded expectations every single time. Despite enduring a grueling meet schedule, the Gusties used January as an opportunity to take their training regimen to the next level.
“The season has gone really well… J-Term is useful because I have so much more time to dedicate to training and get a nice long break from the semester goals,” sophomore Tucker Wallin said.
Wallin has been enjoying a successful start to his season. At the St. Olaf Invitational, he posted a PR mile time of 4:24. He also has been a strong component of the men’s medley relay, which has taken first place on multiple occasions this season, with the most recent victory coming at the Minnesota State University-Mankato Ted Nelson Classic. Wallin has been optimistic about both his own success and the success of his peers.
“Individually, I am on track to accomplish my goals. I just need to stay focused and consistent with my training… (As far as the team goes, we are) very competitive and have performed well in the early-mid stages of the season. It is encouraging to hear all of the PR’s across the board during our meet recaps,” Wallin said.
The Gustavus women’s track team has arguably had an even more impressive start to their season. The Gusties have seen numerous team records fall already this season, which is especially impressive when achieved during the most physically demanding stretch in their season.
“I have been really impressed with my mental toughness in difficult workouts. In the past, I would be scared by hard workouts, so it is incredible to feel like I am embracing them now. I think I have really grown as a competitor in the last month,” sophomore Birgen Nelson said.
Nelson’s mental toughness has certainly been on display over the last few months. Heading into the Ted Nelson Classic, Nelson hadn’t posted a single personal record this season but she was determined to break through. And breakthrough she did. Nelson ran a blazing 8.60 seconds in the 60-meter hurdles. This time shattered her own school record and is currently the top time in NCAA Division III. It was also the tenth fastest time in NCAA Division III history. As one would expect, Nelson was ecstatic after her record-breaking performance.
“It was a pretty surreal moment for me. I knew it was going to happen, but I didn’t know when. I was mostly in shock because I knew that the time meant my hard work was paying off. What made the moment even more fantastic was hearing all of my teammates’ cheers when I crossed the line,” Nelson said.
Nelson’s electric performance earned her the honor of the MIAC Women’s Indoor Track Athlete of the Week. And just like her performance at the Ted Nelson Classic, Nelson was filled with adrenaline after receiving this award.
Nelson wasn’t the only Gustie woman to have a phenomenal meet that day. Teammate Elizabeth Donnelly broke a record that was nearly thirty years old. She posted an electric 1000-meter time, clocking in at 2:53.02 seconds. This lightning-fast time bested the previous school record by over five seconds. Performances like the ones Donnelly and Nelson have given the Gusties great hope for what lies ahead.
“The team is super fun and really close. I would describe every one of the sprinters as a supportive friend…I think our team has the capability to surprise the conference this year at the MIAC championships. We are the strongest we have ever been. I want to keep growing as a team and continue to be supportive of each other,” Nelson said.
Wallin is equally as optimistic about the men’s team’s long-term outlook. He is confident that the year will end the way that it started – lots of fast running and lots of PR’s.
“We would like to re-establish ourselves as one of the MIAC’s top track teams. We also want to send some people to the national meet, and continue to build a winning culture,” Wallin said.