A trip down memory lane

Tegan Hirman – Opinion Columnist

It has come to my attention this past weekend that the American Girls Doll store in the Mall of America, no longer exists. I don’t know about you, but since I started college, I have been feeling extremely nostalgic. My plans for next weekend were to visit the American Girl Doll store, to reminisce of all of the cold winter afternoons I spent braiding their hair. Or going to elementary school back in the early-mid 2000s showing off my new doll. Be it Molly or Kit, I was so proud. But, no, kids don’t play with toys like that anymore.
I looked at their website online and guess what I found…dolls with purple, blue, even green hair. Not your classic doll that came with dorky round glasses and a plaid sweater vest. These dolls…actually look trendy. I’m sorry, but when I was in elementary school, I was not that cool, let me tell you that. We all got the short end of the stick when it came to fashion statements. The feathers or rainbow tinsel on our hair, headbands that tied at the nape of our necks, tee shirts plastered with brand logos (I was partial to Aeropostale), and let’s nor forget the low rise jeans! No, not only toys but the whole vibe of kids today has changed.
Rarely will I see a child in a restaurant playing with coloring books or action figures any more. Tablets have become their version of fun. My first cell phone was a Verizon flip phone that I got at 12, which I wasn’t allowed to text due to data limits. Today, do we have to worry about data limits anymore, click a character 3 times to get the right letter or have a song play when you power up your phone or computer?
I cannot be the only one who has also been rewatching childhood favorite TV shows. Do you all remember iCarly, Zoey 101, Victorious, Sweet Life of Zack and Cody? Or perhaps the tried and true cartoons like Jimmy Neutron, Danny Phantom, Kim Possible, or The Fairly OddParents? A walk down memory lane, especially now when this would be the time back in 2010 when I would scan the channels for the Halloween episodes (which are the best). Monster House, ultimate favorite kid halloween movie. If any of you see me on campus, please stop me and tell me what your favorite childhood Halloween movie was?
The Holiday season is ripe with nostalgic memories. Wearing your winter coat over your Halloween costume so you could go trick or treating. Having your mom inspect the candy (actually frightening looking back on it), getting ready for Christmas right on November 1st, and drafting your list to Santa Clause. My favorite Christmas tradition is on Christmas Eve, my mom would huddle my younger sister and I into her wrap up in a thick blanket, stop by Caribou and get us a hot chocolate, and we would drive down to Plymouth, Minnesota to look at the grand Christmas light displays. Coming home all ready for bed because Santa was coming, and of course waking up extra early to sneak a peek at this year’s Christmas gifts. I would always be hoping for aBarbie Christmas Special Edition. (I do have 2007 and 2008 if you are curious)
I think it’s important to look back on memories. They bring me back to earth for a bit and help me wind down. I’m looking forward to making memories here at Gustavus. I wonder what Halloween would be like, the lead up to the Holidays, traveling back home for our breaks. It all sound so weird and different, and kinda scary. I wish I could go back in time, just for one day, and experience that pure excitement all over again.