Women’s soccer kicks adversity to the curb

Luna Walker – Staff Writer

The Golden Gusties are excited to fight for their right to compete in the MIAC this season. Currently sitting at a 3-3 record, the squad seems to be comfortable with the lessons they’ve learned and the progress they’ve made despite the undesirable losses to teams such as the Carleton Knights and Dubuque University.
“Though we didn’t get the result we wanted against Carleton, we played well and that’s something we took away from that game. Now, we are focusing on being able to play well and get the result to prove it. We definitely want to use this as motivation going into our next few games,” Senior Katie Ashpole said on the tough loss against Carleton.
Something this team prides itself on is its culture both on and off the field. “Each season we start by setting goals for ourselves. A lot of them refer to building good character and pushing each other to become the best that we can be. We definitely are a close team and love spending time together, which I definitely think embodies the culture of Gustavus,” Ashpole said. Clearly, this team knows what it wants, and this squad is willing to put in the work on and off the field to achieve its goals.
Not letting adversity drag them down, the three wins and three losses won’t bring them down. The Golden Girls of Gustavus have their eyes set on the prize, the MIAC championship. “I would love to make a run for the MIAC title. This team has a ton of talent and depth. It has been great to be able to play with such a range of players and learn how to play with new people. It’s definitely an adjustment but I think the team is really coming together and meshing well, so I’m definitely excited to see where that takes us this season,” Ashpole said on the future outlook of the team. This team has only just begun its season, and the disappointing start is something Gusties should not be worried about. This is a team to believe in, and this squad shouldn’t be discounted just yet.
“I’d say coming together and bonding definitely helps us adjust to the highs and lows of the season. At the end of the day we are a team and we win together and we lose together. Although we sometimes don’t get the result we’d like, we always have one another to lean on. Now we just have to motivate each other for our next game,”Ashpole said.
This team definitely has healthy ways of dealing with a not so desirable situation, and the team is bouncing back already. The squad is looking good in practice, and with a captain like Ashpole leading the charge, nothing can stop this tank of a team. Kicking down every obstacle in their way is something this group of women are very familiar with, and the maturity of the squad shines through with Ashpoles’ leadership and the positive environment being fostered both on and off the field.
The Gustavus Women’s soccer team has its fair share of leaders and role models, but Ashpole has shone through as a woman of great skill and leadership, and has really made an impact on this team.
“I can’t even begin to express how thankful I am to have the opportunity to be here for a 5th year. Everyday I’m reminded of why it is such an amazing place. We have so much potential and I feel so lucky to be surrounded by such amazing teammates and friends. Aside from making lifetime memories, I want to do all I can to leave a positive impact on my teammates, within the program, and at Gustavus,” Ashpole said. Ashpoles’ dedication to the program and her teammates has proven to be a major part of the Golden Gusties’ success, and the only way this team is going is upwards and onwards.
“Moving forward I would say you can definitely expect a lot of energy and motivation out of us! We are so excited for the rest of the season. We take everyday and every practice seriously and constantly push each other to become better. We are really excited to see what the future has in store for us,” Ashpole said.
With all of this in mind, Gusties and the members of the St. Peter. Community can expect great things moving forward, and Gusties can expect to see their next matchup on September, 22, 2021.