Don’t be boring: Support local art

Tori Smith – Opinion Columnist

Over the weekend I visited the Rock Bend Folk Festival held in Minnesota Square Park right down the hill from Gustavus. The festival included live music, food, and an arts and crafts fair.
Not expecting to see much from a small-town festival, I was blown away by the amount of talent on display.
The music, for one, was incredible and lively. Every band had a number of people on their feet and dancing around the stage. Which makes them fun to watch, as well as hear.
Likewise, the number of talented artists working the booths left me speechless. From beautiful homemade jewelry to carefully crafted ceramics, everything on display was hard to pass by.
I attended the festival both Saturday and Sunday. In total, I purchased one pair of earrings, one stone necklace, two soy candles, a large agate, a bird feeder and two tasteful ceramic shot glasses.
For my own benefit I will not be calculating how much I spent on these items. I came, I saw and I conquered. That’s all that matters.
Although I probably spent more money than I’d like to admit, I don’t regret doing it. I helped support a number of local artists in my community and even got to speak with many of them about their work. Plus, I now own some really cool stuff.
“The best part of buying from individual artists is that you are supporting their presentation of ideas and experiences which is often an indicator of what life looks like in their community,” Alumnus Thomas Prahl ‘20 said.
Prahl, local artist from Gustavus and in Saint Peter specializes in French horn, visual arts and ceramic arts.
He was one of the many talented artists who displayed and sold their work at the art fair this past weekend (and whom I purchased the two handsome ceramic shot glasses from).
For Prahl, community support and engagement are incredibly important to his work.

“I decided to hang a Gustavus Flag in my booth and was immediately thankful for this decision. As soon as the flag went up in my tent, my booth became a ‘Gustie Landing Pad.’ I had a constant stream of Gusties coming through my tent, asking highly engaging questions and leading wonderful conversations,” Prahl said.

There are a multitude of reasons to support local art.
For one, it boosts the local economy. You’re far more likely to see improvements in your community by spending money on local businesses or artists than by spending it in Walmart.
Secondly it’s a great and enjoyable investment. By supporting local artists you’re investing in their work while also gaining meaningful items that bring you joy. What’s better than investing in your community while getting cool stuff?
It’s important to note that community support doesn’t have to come in the form of money. Prahl, for example, was supported by the meaningful conversations and respect that many Gusties showed him and his work.
Simply having a conversation with an artist about their work or telling others about their art is incredibly supportive, sometimes even more so than just handing them a ten-dollar bill and running away (I may or may not be guilty of this).
Another easy way to support local art in Saint Peter is by visiting art galleries and exhibitions, some of which are free to the public.
“Every Gustie should visit the Art Center of Saint Peter. It is legitimately four doors away from RiverRock. The Gallery