Old Music is Better

Lexi Louis – Opinion Columnist

I think that old music is better than modern music. It combines instruments that are nice together, and it isn’t very technological sounding. There is a nostalgic, happy feeling associated with listening to old music we haven’t heard in a while. Older music displays nostalgia, tangible instruments, appropriately accompanied lyrics and a history that helped shaped music today.
When we are in a car and a song from our childhood comes on the radio, feelings of nostalgia arise. It can bring about happiness or vivid memories associated with that time. Listening to new music is fun, but it doesn’t convey the same feeling as when we listen to it ten years later. Some popular songs I listened to a while ago were “Let it Be,” “Hey Jude” and “Bohemian Rhapsody.” When I was younger, these songs from the 60s and 70s were played around me a lot. Some of the instruments used in these songs were a piano, a bass, a guitar, drums and an organ. Some other songs I listened to when I was younger that used more modern instruments were “I Gotta Feeling” by the Black Eyed Peas and “Single Ladies” by Beyonce. These songs convey the same feeling of nostalgia, but the instruments used in them are more technical.
The sound of a piano is much more familiar to a lot of people than electronic or synthesizer sounds. It comes across as clearer and more organic. A bass guitar is more fun to view someone play than a synth bass. Watching someone play a piano, bass, or guitar provides greater entertainment than these instruments being played on a digital piano. Although a digital piano may produce the same thing, seeing all of the instruments being played together is impressive. Seeing an entire orchestra playing is a beautiful sight. With the violins, violas, cellos, flutes, oboes, clarinets and other instruments being played, there is a harmony that cannot be produced with technology. Seeing a band playing is fun too. These instruments were used more frequently in classic music than they are used in modern music.
The lyrics, volume, emotion and enthusiasm contained in old songs are more powerful than in newer songs. The mood of the song “Let it Be” is somber, but its tone is hopeful. My favorite part of the song is, “And when the night is cloudy there is still a light that shines on me
Shinin’ until tomorrow, let it be.” I think these lyrics portray hope. The song repeats of letting a situation be, it will get better, and there will be an answer. The volume of Paul McCartney’s voice increases as the song progresses to cement the message. The emotion of his voice reflects the words being spoken. In the song “Hey Jude” a repeated line is, “Hey Jude, don’t make it bad.
take a sad song and make it better.” I think that listening to music that reflects our emotions, even if it is sad, makes us feel better because we have something to connect and relate with. The song transitions to them singing in unison for a while. This gives a positive group setting for the listener to participate in.
The first concert I attended was a Paul McCartney concert. I went with my family, and we sat on the ground level in chairs. There was a positive, fun energy in the arena. People around me were singing and dancing. This environment was contrasting to a lot of other concerts where a lot of people are holding phones and missing the moment.
My parents introduced me to 60s, 70s and 80s music with the Beatles, Queen and ABBA. I loved singing along to these songs in the car with my family. Some 80s bands my parents introduced me to were Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Van Halen, The Bangles, Blondie, Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Fleetwood Mac, Rush, Journey, Guns and Roses, U2, Eurythmics, A-ha and Styx. The Bangles, Blondie, Eurythmics and ABBA were bands that included female artists. This complements Women’s History Month and their contributions to the music industry. Without these bands and their music, a lot of songs wouldn’t exist today.
Because of these artist’s lyrics, enthusiasm, emotion, and instruments their songs are more powerful. Some of the lyrics are more genuine and honest. In some classic songs, they are sung with greater volume and emotion. The instruments frequently used during the 60s, 70s and 80s, were tangible and more familiar to the listener. The words from these decades inspired future artists and improved the industry. When we hear music we haven’t heard in a while, emotions and memories arise from that time. Newer songs don’t bring this feeling of happiness in my opinion.