Your vote does matter

With all the ads, phone calls, emails and texts I’ve been receiving, it comes as no surprise that the 2020 election is just around the corner. Many people are facing this with a mix of emotions. Some are excited about the possibility of new leadership while others are anxious.
For me, election time has always been filled with anxiety, even before I could vote. I remember not being able to sleep the night of the 2016 election. I especially remember yelling at my 19-year-old brother the next day because he conveniently “didn’t have time to vote.” Colossal mistake, big bro.
For this year’s election, I’m hoping the majority of Gustavus students choose to exercise their right to vote.
“Voting is the most important right we have, and it’s one that we can’t take for granted” Junior Ben Menke said.
It is especially important for young people to go out and vote. The changes that are implemented now will have lasting consequences that could affect the rest of our lives. It’s our responsibility to make sure those changes are beneficial rather than detrimental.
“As young people, we can prove that we’re a force that politicians should pay attention to,” Menke said.
In order to get a feeling for my peers’ voting decisions, I put a poll on my Instagram story for my followers to participate in. When asked about voting plans, a whopping 95 percent of participants said they are planning to vote in this upcoming election. I have to say, I am pleasantly surprised by this finding. After my brother’s inability to exercise his rights out of inconvenience, I was expecting a good portion of my followers (most of whom are young college students) to decide not to vote either. I am happy to stand corrected.
Taking it a step further, I also wanted to know how people were planning to vote. With no end in sight yet for the pandemic, many people have been considering voting by mail this year in order to avoid the lines, stress and germs that can possibly spread by voting in person. When asked about the method of voting, 44 percent said they were planning on voting in person.
Going off of my incredibly accurate data (not really), nearly half of the voters will be voting in person. Will voting in person be safe amid a global pandemic?
“In order to protect St. Peter residents and our election workers, it’s best to vote before election day if possible,” Menke said.
From now until November 2, voters in St. Peter can visit the Nicollet County Government Center to register and place their ballots early, all within less than thirty minutes.
In order to vote by mail, Minnesota voters will need to request an absentee ballot from mnvotes.org. Out-of-state voters will need to check their state’s Secretary of State’s website to find out how they can request a ballot. Once completed, the ballot can be dropped off in the Campus Center mailbox or at the Nicollet County Government Center.
Many students at Gustavus will be first-time voters this November. This process can be intimidating and confusing, but there are a multitude of resources that can help. Peers such as Menke, for example, are happy to answer any and all questions people may have. I would know because I asked Menke a handful of questions for this article, and he was happy to answer all of them.
So, if you are thinking about voting, but are confused by the process, reach out.
“Once you vote for the first time, it becomes a rewarding habit of engagement with the community,” Menke said.
I agree. The first time I voted was in the 2018 midterm elections. It was scary, but the election workers knew exactly what to do and explained everything. After turning in my ballot, I walked outside with my red “I voted” sticker feeling like I was on top of the world. I was proud of myself for exercising my right to vote unlike my brother who, at the age of 23, has never voted in his life.
Don’t be like my lame brother, folks. He may sound convincing with his whining about “My vote wouldn’t matter, blah, blah, blah.” It’s all lies. The truth is, your vote does matter.
“Whether you support Republicans, Democrats, or neither party, you have a voice that matters,” Menke said. So, go out there and use it.