Advice for the floundering first-year (4/26/19)

Dear First-Years,

‘Tis the season. Not the holiday season, mind you, but the room-draw, select-your-classes, everything-is-happening-right-now season. And oof, it’s a lot to handle. If you’re anything like me, you’re feeling the pressure right now, and that can be extremely stressful. Here are a few tips I have for handling all that stress.

First, make a to-do list (or several) and tackle the things that are stressing out. Just get them done. And maybe you can’t do everything in one day, but you can at least start that assignment, start writing your paper, start reading that book. Just making a little progress goes a long way.

Next, when you’re not working, actually take a break. I tend to keep thinking about the things I have to do when I’m not actively working on them, and I have to try really hard to turn those thoughts off. Even if you don’t have a lot of time, try deep breathing in the shower, going to bed a little earlier, or watching twenty minutes of your favorite show. Really enjoying and engaging in those peaceful moments will help you immensely.

Finally, know that you’re not alone. Everyone in college understands how busy and stressful this time is. When you’re feeling overwhelmed, try studying with friends. Meet up in the Courtyard or the library and struggle together. Just knowing that other people feel the same way as you might help you manage a little better.

I hope these tips help you get through this busy time in the semester. Stay strong and study hard, Gusties.

–Marie