Weather cancels President’s Ball 2019

Gustavus students began the weekend with disappointment after finding out the President’s Ball was canceled due to weather.

“Due to the inclement weather forecasted for this weekend, the Dean of Students Office and Campus Activities Office have decided to cancel  President’s Ball.  We did not make this decision lightly and considered student safety our number one priority,” Director of Campus Activities Andrea Junso said in an email sent out last Thursday, March 7.

Many students who looked forward to the event were upset with the change of plans.

“I was truly looking forward to President’s Ball, as it was my first time getting to go. I totally understand why it was canceled though–student safety always comes first,” Sophomore Stella Hadjiyanis said.

Senior Elizabeth Her was especially upset, as this year was her last year to attend. Instead, she held a small gathering in her apartment with some of her friends.

“I was bummed since it’s my senior year, but I understand that safety is always first. My friends and I were able to make the best of the night still,” Her said.

The President’s Ball was to take place in Mankato on Saturday March 9.

The Saint Peter area was estimated a total of twelve inches of snow for Saturday night, leading to many cancellations throughout the weekend, including the Hanbell Clinic “AdventuRING.”

Students are able to get a refund for their ticket and coach bus purchases with more details coming soon from the Campus Activities Office.