Advice for the floundering first-year | The Gustavian Weekly

By Marie Osuna - Copy Editor | November 2, 2018 | Opinion

Dear first-years,

By now, you are probably sick. Or you know someone that’s sick, meaning you are about to get sick. And let me tell you, the first time you get sick away from home is probably going to be awful. It’s a true adulting moment when you feel absolutely terrible but you still have to take care of yourself and get things done. We’ve all been there.

Luckily, I have a couple of tips that will help you feel just a little better.

My first piece of advice? Avoid junky foods. When you are sick, it is especially important to fuel up on healthy foods that will help your body heal. Just remember: the more fruits and vegetables you eat, the less time you will be sick.

Also along those lines, let me tell you a well-kept secret: the soups in the caf are incredible. There are many different kinds on rotation, even including vegetarian and vegan options, and I’ve never been disappointed by them. If you’re really needing to soothe your soul, the soups won’t disappoint.

When you are sick, make sure to be getting enough sleep. I know that you have tons of homework and are feeling stressed, but if you aren’t sleeping enough, you’re not going to be feeling like your normal self again for a long while. School needs you to give your 100%, and you can’t do that if you’re not well-rested.

Additionally, don’t be shy about going to health services. My first year, I never went, but I’ve found it to be a helpful service now. This year, I have gone for a basic checkup and a strep test when I was feeling particularly nasty. Both times I have found the staff to be friendly and it’s better know if you have something more serious than a cold.

Finally, take your medicine and don’t be ashamed to call your mom. Love can be the best medicine sometimes, so if you need to call home and be reminded that you are incredible, do it. Being sick is the worst, and hearing from those you love can make that all better. Just don’t be ashamed to admit what you need. During your first year, everything can seem more difficult, and sickness often comes hand-in-hand with homesickness. Just admit that, at least to yourself, and call someone. You don’t have to be alone.

I hope this helps you feel a little better. Stay strong and healthy, Gusties!