Best Extracurricular Classes

Weather and Climate

Why did you choose that class?
Sounded fun, good way to get a Gen Ed out of the way
Who taught it?
Jeff La Frenierre
What made the class enjoyable?
Jeff La Frennierre, enjoyable labs, good atmosphere
Would you recommend this class to other students?
Yes. Great prof, almost made me rethink my major in Psy/Phi, I can say I learned a lot and it was fun doing it.

Mason Stolt, Senior

Modern East Asia

Why did you choose that class?
I have always been interested in the history of other cultures and countries, with particular interest in Asian countries. Also, I heard David Obermiller is a great professor.
Who taught it?
David Obermiller
What made the class enjoyable?
David did an amazing job keeping the course entertaining. He found different ways to engage with his students and his excitement was genuine; it was hard not to enjoy the class. There was a variety of different teaching materials he used, like textbook readings, movies and films, and other interesting readings.
Are there any extracurricular classes that you’re hoping to take in the future?
I am hoping to take a dance class here at Gustavus. I hear they are quite fun and enjoyable. I enjoy dancing and can’t ever hold still when I walk past the dance studio.
YES! I highly encourage other students to take this course. I have never really liked history, but I considered becoming either a history major or minor because of David Obermiller and his course. He is very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the material. I promise it will be worth it!

Elizabeth Her, Junior

Pilates

Why did you choose that class?
To get fit and be healthy!
Who taught it?
Rachel More
What made the class enjoyable?
Having a great teacher, you learn a lot of great exercises to strengthen your core as well as breathing techniques that help with just about anything (reducing stress, helping to focus, etc.)
“Walking”, because I think it’s a great way to stay healthy!
Yes, I would recommend it because it is a great way to stay active and learn about the art of Pilates!

Stella Hadjiyanis, First Year

Oil Painting

Why did you choose that class?
I’ve never taken an art class, let alone a painting class! I thought it would be exciting to use my artsy side and just have fun.
Who taught it?
Jennifer Nevitt
What made the class enjoyable?
I got to learn how to paint and explore my abilities to create paintings that I didn’t know I actually could. It was super enjoyable because I got to just go and paint!
I am interested in maybe a creative writing class.
I would totally recommend a painting class if you are interested in learning more about yourself as an artist and just want to do something fun!

Olivia Doeden, Sophomore

Lifespan Development

Why did you choose that class?
At the time of choosing this class, I was thinking about becoming a public health minor and was not exactly sure if it would be a great fit for me. I had heard numerous positive reviews from other students who have taken Lifespan Development prior saying that it is such a beneficial class to take even as an elective.
Who taught it?
Hayley Russell
What made the class enjoyable?
The content in general is very intriguing as each person can relate the material to his or her life in some way. Not only the material, but Professor Hayley Russell really made the class enjoyable to attend as the atmosphere of the class was always uplifting and engaging.
A yoga or relaxation class!
Yes! Learning about what happens in your own body, throughout life, and knowing the correct terms for those processes is great to know.

Karley Lind, Junior