The long awaited Minnesota spring

This year’s Minnesota winter has dragged on and on, and still continues although spring has already (officially) started.

This year the cold weather and gusts of wind (it tends to be pretty Gustie up on the hill) kept me in my apartment for as long as possible.

When the temperatures finally were no longer in the negative numbers, I jumped for joy.

Dressed in my coat and my winter boots I hobbled out of the apartment into the arb and was happy to no longer need a scarf to cover my face.

Breathing was so much easier, and it was refreshing to see your breath.

Later, when I could go outside without a coat on for the first time you thought I would be a kid in a candy store; because I was so happy.

I was outside as much as possible, not cutting through buildings for classes, and sitting on the chairs throughout campus.

During this time, my roommates and I were ready to send our winter gear home, until the next day when it snowed again.

The snow, once again, had us asking ourselves why we live in a state like this.

It’s hard to believe, but the answer is Minnesotas summer.

I am personally not a huge fan of spring and fall because the weather is so unpredictable, I prefer the seasons where you know it will either be hot or cold.

With the first day of summer just weeks (hopefully) away, I get excited about every moment that I can spend outside starting in the spring enjoying the blooming flowers, green lawn, warmer temperatures, and sunny days.

Unlike the frigid days of winter, knowing that summer is coming exhilarates me and fills me with energy.

When the spring weather starts, I can’t wait to no longer have heavy clothes and boots to weigh me down, I can’t wait to feel light and new.

Wearing a windbreaker and my tennis shoes, I will happily run along the road enjoying every ray of sunshine, while inhaling the sweet scent of lilacs.

To me, the smell of lilacs is an unforgettable scent of my childhood.

I look forward to the blooming flowers, but not the allergies that come with them.

I can just picture a gentle breeze flowing against my face and hair as the cardinals sing their happy spring song from the pine trees in the arb.

I can imagine bluebirds going from tree to tree, and chickadees making their sounds in an attempt to find mates (spring is apparently the season of love).

As much as I love the birds associated with spring, I cannot wait to put out a hummingbird feeder and see them fly by with their fast-moving wings.

I think spring brings out the best in Minnesotans.

You can happily wave to neighbors and those surrounding you without having your hands covered in wool mittens.

It no longer bothers you that cars don’t stop for you, because you want to enjoy the weather.

Everyone overall has a better mood because of the Vitamin D that we are no longer deprived of.

It always puts a smile on my face to hear children laughing again, and speeding on their bicycles.

This is also a nostalgic feeling for me, I learned how to ride by bicycle in the spring.

My mother yelled and chased after me as I sped down the cul-de-sak, she was worried I would fall and hurt myself.

Unsurprisingly, I fell, but even though that was a bad moment, I remember it for the beautiful day it was, and the daffodils that bloomed in my front yard.

After my bicycle accident, my mom decided that I should focus on helping her in the garden until I got some more practice in riding my bike.

In the summer, I look forward to seeing people pushing their baby strollers, walking their dogs, and just simply being outside.

But although I wasn’t cycling, I still have so many fond memories of planting flower bulbs, and getting the soil ready for us to plant fruits and vegetables.

I cannot wait to see the flowers bloom and see the veggies grow in my garden.

Just thinking of this helps me get through the cold and long winter, as it is a reminder of the amazing renewal of Minnesota that comes with spring.