3OH!3 to play at The Big Concert

Campus Activities Board just announced the Spring Concert artist: 3OH!3, to mixed reviews.

This reaction is not necessarily unexpected as CAB can’t make everyone happy with their selection.

“I think it’s really fun that we get to have a group that is a bit of a throwback. My middle school self is so excited to be able to see them,” Senior, Ashley Elford said.

This year, CAB is trying to be more transparent with their decision and wanted student input in such a large financial decision.

As usual, CAB sent out a variety of surveys for the student body to fill out.

First off, students were asked to make suggestions of artists they’d like to see.

From there, CAB narrowed down the list of artists they could afford from this list with the help of their agent.

Next, another survey was sent out to students with twenty-nine names.

The voting process ended with a third and final survey with the top five choices. An astounding 1,500 students responded to this survey with their input.

Sean Kingston and 3OH!3 were the winners of the final survey.

However, having two headlining artists proved to be too expensive for the budget and would result in an unaffordable ticket cost for students.

CAB then decided to choose 3OH!3 due to concerns over Kingston’s past behavior, which were pointed out by the agent and fellow Gustavus students who reached out.

“Really? Is this how we want people to know Gustavus?” first-year, Miranda Johnsen said.

Granted, some think of 3OH!3’s lyrics as demeaning and promoting promiscuous behavior.

“Inside my seventh-grade self is overjoyed, but I guess my sophomore self is also pretty excited for it,” Sophomore, Case Bartelings said.

Another reason 3OH!3 was picked was because they’re a more recent and celebrated band, making it more engaging for concert goers.

By only bringing one artist to campus, was able CAB to host a free concert for Gustavus students.

“Unless Ke$ha is coming to be featured on “My First Kiss”, I’m mildly disappointed,” Sophomore, Olin Lundgren said.

Outside guests are also welcome to attend, with cost to be determined.

CAB invites students to attend their next board meeting on March 12, to decide on a local band to open the show.