The great debate: does pineapple go on pizza?

Is putting pineapple on pizza a crime?

The debate over whether pineapple belongs on pizza has recently been tearing society apart.

At least it does every week in The Gustavian Weekly office.

This is my fourth year working as an editor at the paper and the fourth year of this debate.

Pineapple is the only topping that should go on pizza.

It’s the best and if you think it doesn’t, then you’re wrong and you should write a rebuttal article.

As the Editor-in-Chief, I have the power to decide what kind of pizza we order from Godfather’s each week.

I believe I am a fair and charismatic leader… until someone tries to undermine my authority and complains about the pineapple pizza.

In March 2017, Time magazine reported on the meme posted on Twitter that re-started this great debate.

According to their poll, 60 percent of pollees voted that pineapple does belong on pizza.

Buzzfeed was interesting too, as they had thousands of articles dedicated to whether or not it was a sin to mix pineapple and pizza.

Even celebrities and world leaders have even gotten involved.

Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau did too, tweeting his support of the Canadian creation.

People quickly chimed in saying that denouncing pineapple pizza was a crime against Canada.

Someone else even suggested Trump build a wall on the Canadian border because of their crime against humanity – putting pineapple on pizza.

While studying abroad in Sweden last year everyone thought Minnesota was in Canada, so I might as well embrace it. It’s close enough.

Even the Icelandic president weighed in on the issue (he denounced it) when a student asked him if he liked it.

He even threatened to write a law banning it.

This could have started an international incident.

Good thing I’m Swedish.

The pizza brand DiGiorno even chimed in after the Icelandic president weighed in.

They announced there was “no ban here.”

The president responded to the world’s response with an apology to pineapple pizza lovers: “I like pineapples, just not on pizza,” the world leader wrote. “I do not have the power to make laws which forbid people to put pineapples on their pizza. I am glad that I do not hold such power. Presidents should not have unlimited power. I would not want to hold this position if I could pass laws forbidding that which I don’t like.”

Great save.

He also said his favorite kind of pizza had seafood on it. Clearly his palette must be too refined.

Pineapple is delicious and pizza is delicious. So what’s so wrong about mixing that deliciousness together?

Nothing.

In this day and age, people put everything on pizza.

Mac n’ cheese, apples, anchovies, kale, shrimp, spinach, the list goes on.

So what’s wrong with pineapple?

There are some benefits to adding pineapple to your pizza. It makes the pizza “healthier” by adding the nutritional aspect of fruit and our tastes buds get to enjoy the flavors of both sweet and savory together.

There are no cons to this, except for the pineapple haters, but who cares? Forget them.

In conclusion, it’s time for you to decide whether you’re a lover or a hater.

And as twitter says, pizza is a topping too.