Support local artists!

Growing up I listened to The Current almost religiously.

This is because this was the only station my dad listened to, unless he was in a particularly good mood and let my sister and I listen to Top Hits every once in awhile.

Because of this, I was introduced to a vast amount of local musicians.

I did not realize that this was out of the ordinary until my friends had no idea who Cloud Cult was after I saw them in concert and was excited because I got a signed poster.

I was baffled that my friends didn’t have these artists in their playlists.

I grew up on sounds created in nearby cities and played on a radio station that I sometimes loathed because it did not allow me to be in with the cool kids and their music.

But now I am incredibly grateful that my dad had The Current blasting each and every day when I walked through the door after a long day in elementary school.

It forced me to be more aware of the local artist scene around me.

That’s not something everyone is fortunate enough to have.

I was also very fortunate to live in a city with its own art museum.

I’m not saying that as a middle schooler or high schooler I frequented Rochester’s Art Museum, because I didn’t.

What I am saying is that people, who did immerse themselves amongst art, spread what they saw to those of us who could not find motivation to get off the couch.

They talked about the art classes they took there and the exhibits that inspired them to create the pieces they shared at show-and-tell.

Often these artists are struggling to make a living doing the one thing keeping them going.

They took pictures and printed them for us to see.

They shared local artists with us because we had that resource.

Local artists today; musicians, writers, artists, whatever the kind, get the shaft, plain and simple.

They are largely ignored for household names that fill the airwaves, such as DJ Khaled, Nicholas Sparks, and more.

These people are talented in their own right, but they also suck attention away from other deserving artists.

We have opportunities to support these local artists and we rarely take them.

The prices are cheaper; the music, art, writing, poetry, can be extremely well-done.

These artists are some of the most passionate people in the industry.

They are not trying to become a household name.

They are trying to make a living, and we are not giving them that chance.

When you need a pair of earrings to give your mom at Christmas, don’t go to Target and buy the prettiest pair there.

They don’t need your sales.

Go to a coffee shop, or any local store frankly, and see if they have what you want.

Support the person who used what little free time they had to make that pair of earrings.

When your friend is performing in an open mic night, go watch.

Go support them and listen to the talent that could be living right next door; These events are usually free and chock full of amazing performers.

The next time you want to go to a concert with friends don’t spend lots of money on a ticket.

Find a local show; they are usually free or cheap, and go find a new band to love.

It may not happen on the first try, but I guarantee that if you keep trying new, local things, you’ll find something that sets your soul on fire.

We owe it to these artists to at least spread the word of their work.

If you cannot financially support an artist, share their event on Facebook.

Help them out in any way you can because local artists are fantastic and worthwhile.

They deserve our time.

It is our job to encourage our neighborhood artisans.

And it is our duty to make sure that someone’s dream does not diminish because they haven’t quite made it yet.

Local artists should not be slept on; making sure that doesn’t happen is on all of us.