“Team Miller” conducts Wind Concert

Nearly a month after Touring Week and their last home concert, the Gustavus Wind Orchestra will be performing alongside the Gustavus Wind Symphony from 1:30 to 3:00 p.m. on March 11 in Bjorling Recital Hall.

Conducting the upcoming concert are music professors and spouses James Patrick Miller and Heidi Johanna Miller. Heidi Miller is particularly excited about the variety of pieces that will be performed at Bjorling.

“The music we are playing encompasses a wide variety of styles and should appeal to anyone, regardless of musical knowledge,” Heidi Miller said. “The Wind Symphony opens with a whirlwind of an overture that was written for one of Alfred Hitchcock’s most famous films, North by Northwest.  Michael Colgrass’s ‘Old Churches’ is an atmospheric piece that conjures up images of empty old stone cathedrals with bells tolling in the distance – it involves on-the-spot composition by the students (called “aleatory”), and the percussionists play on kitchen bowls!”

The concert will cover a wide range of genres that will highlight every section in some capacity.

“We are also playing a piece that is a rustic dance – I dare the audience not to feel their feet wanting to stomp – and ending with a longer, more serious piece that I was involved in commissioning when I taught at Williams College. It contains many different moods and styles, including lots of colorful writing for the percussion section. The concert should be interesting and entertaining to listen to no matter what your background,” Heidi Miller said.

With a well-prepared, practiced, and researched lineup, the Millers had a hard time choosing what song was their favorite to conduct.

“This program features many varied, exciting works of art,” James Miller said. “The piece that most grabs me is Frank Ticheli’s ‘Concerto for Alto Saxophone’ featuring John Engebretson (‘91) our saxophone professor. John is an incredible performer, and the concerto is both a stunning example of deep, thoughtful music and a demonstration of outstanding expression and technique the Professor Engebretson brings to the stage.”

“I love all of the music on the program, (that is why I programmed it) but I do have a special place in my heart for ‘Old Churches.’ The notes in the piece are so simple, but it is so powerful and beautiful. It creates its own space outside of time, and I look forward to every time I get to exist inside its sounds,” Heidi Miller said.

Music major David Nelson plays in The Gustavus Symphony Orchestra and also sings for the Gustavus Choir. He’s excited for the upcoming concert to see his fellow musicians put their hard work to good use.

“It’s always fun to watch your friends from other ensembles play. I think these bands have clearly put in the time and effort, and I hope that everybody goes out to see their hard work realized,” Nelson said.

It’s a rare occasion to be conducting a concert alongside your spouse, and the Millers believe the experience is worthwhile thanks to their bond and professionalism.

“Although Dr. Heidi Miller and I are married with two beautiful little girls, two cats, and a lovely home just blocks from campus — when we are at work, making music with our students, discussing and debating repertoire, the band program, performance, (etc.) we are professional colleagues like any other,” James Miller said. “We have a deep, life-long friendship and mutual understanding of philosophy, teaching style, conducting style, and taste in music — but we, by no means, agree on everything! In fact, often times our programming choices are distinctly unique, contrasting, and dynamic. This is why, perhaps, leading the band program together is such an honor.”

“He gets to learn from me every time we work together! Seriously, though, it is a privilege to be able to both work in the same department and make music side by side.  We met through music, so being able to make a career out of it together is pretty special,” Heidi Miller said.

Heidi is excited for the variety of pieces the concert has to offer.

There can be a number of obstacles to overcome as a music instructor, husband, and father, but James believes sometimes they are required to improve himself as a person.

“I feel strongly that Gusties receive a broader, more engaged, and more thoughtful music performance education because Dr. Heidi Miller and I push one another, challenge one another, question one another, and work together collaboratively to ensure that all aspects of the program are striving for improvement every minute of every day. For Gustavus to have Dr. Miller here in her role leading the Gustavus Wind Symphony and mentoring our music education majors is extraordinary. We are often referred to as ‘Team Miller’ and we are proud of that,” James Miller said.

The concert on Saturday is free and open to the public, and the Millers believe that anyone that comes can get something out of the experience.

“All of our music department performances have much to offer to students, staff, faculty, and the greater community. This performance, in particular, highlights music that will engage everyone in the audience – featuring a wide variety of styles and colors. If students have never attended a concert I would encourage them to come and support their colleagues and expect an entertaining, artistic showcase of the incredible gifts and commitment of our student musicians here at Gustavus!  Also, there’s free cookies, and it’s hard to turn away those,” James Miller said.