Beneath the Crown (11/18/16)

What is a great challenge you’ve faced in your life?

“I would say my greatest challenge came through figure skating. I’m still a figure skater, but I didn’t start skating until I was about ten years old. I feel like a lot of people thought ‘Who is this girl?’ because I was often the ten-year-old skating with the five-year-olds who had also just started to learn, so being twice their age was a little awkward. I felt really far behind and I felt like a lot of people doubted me for that, so it was something tough to overcome and I just had to keep it from getting to me.”

What is an accomplishment you’re proud of?

“This one’s not related to skating at all, but I’m still proud of it. I would say my passion for being a teacher is something I’m really proud of. I’m an Elementary Education major, and I absolutely love working with kids. I’ve worked at a church camp for about three summers now and I’m just passionate about kids and educating them. Along with that, I’m actually looking into the field of Psychology, and I would love to be a clinical psychologist or school counselor so I can impact people that way and help people through their struggles.”

What is your advice to someone who is struggling through a challenge?

“First of all, I would say that you shouldn’t be afraid to ask for help. I found that that was something that I wasn’t very good at and I’ve come to realize how important it is. My other piece of advice is to persist. Don’t give up! All of us have those ups and downs and challenges, but we can come out stronger with the right attitude.”

Beneath The Crown was created by Nick Theisen (‘15). It is inspired by Humans of New York (HONY) and aims to bring the community of Gustavus Adolphus College closer together by providing the perspectives of the many different people who live and work at the school.