Beneath the Crown (10/14/16)

What is a big passion of yours?

“I’m really passionate about soccer, I play it a lot. I started doing that when I was probably around 3 years old so it’s been a lifelong passion so far. I feel the same way about snowboarding, as I also started doing that around 3 years old or so.

I think I developed my passions for those sports just because I liked them at first and did them so much that I developed an affinity for them.

An academic passion of mine would be psychology. I find it really interesting to think about and examine how people think about things, and why they think about them that way; why they do what they do.”

What would be your dream career?

“Ooh, I have no idea right now actually. I don’t want to decide right now, but my plan is to finish my degree here in psychology and then go on to graduate school and hopefully pursue my passion a bit further to see where I want to go with it.”

What kind of advice would you give to someone pursuing their dream career or passion?

“I would say that you shouldn’t force anything. By that I mean only stick with what you truly like. Often times people will stick with something they may not particularly like or be passionate about just because they feel obligated at that point.

If you do something and it turns out you’re not interested in it, then try something else. There’s no point in faking something that you clearly don’t like. It’s just going to hurt you in the long run.”

Beneath The Crown was created by Nick Theisen (‘15). It is inspired by Humans of New York (HONY) and aims to bring the community of Gustavus Adolphus College closer together by providing the perspectives of the many different people who live and work at the school.