Beneath the Crown (10/7/16)

What is one of your biggest passions?

“I really love getting to know people. Everyone has cool stuff in their past, as well as really cool skills and different ways of thinking that I’ve never thought of. It’s one of the main reasons I became a CF last year and why I’m looking into joining something new this year. I just love it.”

Are you trying to bring this into your career?

“Yeah! I’m a math major right now and I plan to get a doctorate. People often ask me ‘Are you going teach? Are you going to sit in a tiny cubicle?’ I really want to work in a place as a sort of manager where I get to talk to and interact with super smart people who know math really well and basically translate what they’re doing and saying into layman’s terms so that they can get the funding they need or do what they need to do.

So that’s my main goal, but I also want to just get more and more education about math. It’s important to me to not only be good at it, but to encourage more women to do it if they like it.”

What kind of advice would you give to someone who wants to meet more people?

“I think the biggest one is to stop being afraid and embarrassed. I think people can be worried about what others think a lot. I have tons of experience with that, but honestly, no one ever cares about what exactly you’re doing. Most people are often worrying about themselves, so you can just ask them the weirdest stuff and do the weirdest things and everyone remembers that you were the fun one to be with, not that you were weird. If you’re the quiet one who prefers to do their own thing that’s great, but if you want to get out and meet people you need to stop being afraid.”

Beneath The Crown was created by Nick Theisen (‘15). It is inspired by Humans of New York (HONY) and aims to bring the community of Gustavus Adolphus College closer together by providing the perspectives of the many different people who live and work at the school.