Gustie of the Week – Anna St. Dennis

Most students are extremely dedicated to everything that they do here at Gustavus. From academics, to on-campus jobs and activities, and being friendly to everyone they meet, being a Gustie requires a lot, and Anna St. Dennis is as Gustie as you can get.

Anna is a Junior Psychology major on a Pre-Occupational Therapy track. Aside from academics, Anna is extremely involved on campus, being the one of three recruitment chairs for the Tau Mu Tau Sorority, one of three coordinators for Gustie Buddies, and she also works as a scheduler for Event Services, a Lab TA for Human Anatomy, and is involved with Wednesday Friends.

Having the opportunity to be so involved at Gustavus is one of the many things that Annas loves most about being a Gustie. However, with so much involvement, time also needs to be made for school work and her jobs.

“I love that I can do whatever activities that I want. I also love that everyone is super involved but also have their own things that they do,” Anna said. “In college you learn a lot about time management, especially if you’re really involved. I’ve learned that I actually get a lot more done when I have a jam-packed day than during J-term when everything slows down.”

“Anna is a thoughtful, caring person who is committed to bringing her best. She is positive, fun to be around, and enjoys life.” — David Newell

Everyone who knows Anna at Gustavus can tell you that she’s a great person to be around.

“She’s a lot of person in a really small package, and she gives 110% to everything that she does. Anna is so optimistic, fun, and bubbly. She’s just so fun to be around, and everyone loves that about her,” Junior Psychology major Anna Batz said. 

Batz was Anna’s roommate first and sophomore year and continues to be one of her closest friends.

“We like to have movie and popcorn nights. We also really like to act just weird and crazy together. She can always get me to look at the bright side of things, and she encourages me to have fun,” Batz said. 

Director for Community-Based Service in Community-Based Service and Learning Dave Newell met Anna before she came to Gustavus, but knows her best from working with her through her involvement in Gustie Buddies. As he has gotten to know Anna, Newell has noticed that she is a person who embodies the spirit of a Gustie through her service and community involvement here on campus.

From her involvement with the Tau Mu Tau Sorority to her job as a scheduler at Event Services, Anna has no shortage of activity engagement.

“She is seeking ways to make a positive contribution and is actively seeking ways to be of service to others,” Newell said.

Newell has also gotten to know her as an individual outside of her service, and like her friends, has noticed how dedicated, kind, and fun she is as a person.

“Anna is a thoughtful, caring person who is committed to bringing her best. She is positive, fun to be around, and enjoys life. In my mind, she is a true servant-leader — someone who tirelessly makes an effort to improve others’ lives,” Newell said.

In her spirit of service, last J-term Anna had the wonderful opportunity to travel to Cape Town, South Africa with her church. She described it as one of the most positive influences on her life so far.

“We put on a summer camp there. It was so cool to meet those kids and see how they were living, and then see them at camp in a completely different environment. I think it really influenced my life. I realized that there’s a positive to every situation, and things could be always worse,” Anna said.

Anna is admired by many here at Gustavus because of her hard-working, caring, and lively personality. While she brings service to the Gustavus campus, she also knows how to have fun, when to work hard, and is a smiling, friendly face to everyone she meets. “She’s a gem,” Batz said.