Beneath the Crown (9/30/16)

What is your dream career?

“I’m really into numbers and I’m someone who doesn’t want to be the center of attention, like I’d rather work behind the scenes, but I still want to make a difference. So, I’ve always been into math. My mom was my math teacher in sixth grade and that was what sparked it, I think. I like that math has more definitive answers and is a more concrete subject. I have a background in statistics, so I’m looking into becoming an actuary so I could work with evaluating risks and making a difference within a company.”

How did you go about exploring your interest in math?

“Since my mom was a teacher, she was always trying to keep my brain stimulated throughout the year. She would even give us workbooks in the summer, which I didn’t like at the time of course, but now I really appreciate that she made us practice. We would always try to make it less of a chore and try to put a fun spin on things. We’d make it into a game or a competition, just trying to come up with new ways to make learning a little bit more fun, as corny as it sounds. Making it fun makes you want to learn and it really helps you retain it better, and you really appreciate why it’s important.”

What advice would you give to someone trying to pursue their dream career?

“I would say perseverance is key. Not everything I take is something I’d consider fun. I do pride myself on working hard and getting everything done well and efficiently, but it can be difficult and it can take a long time to do it. Whether you have to do some homework problems or a full research paper, whatever you have, it’s going to take time. Rome wasn’t built in a day, so you have to be willing to work at it, put your mind to it, and really consider the bigger picture. Understand that while it’s hard now it’ll be worth it in the long run, because you’ll ultimately be doing what you’re passionate about and you’ll love what you do.”

Beneath The Crown was created by Nick Theisen (‘15). It is inspired by Humans of New York (HONY) and aims to bring the community of Gustavus Adolphus College closer together by providing the perspectives of the many different people who live and work at the school.