Volleyball rolls over opponents: Hot start has Gusties set for MIAC play

After one of the best seasons in school history last year, the Gustavus Volleyball team has picked up this season right where they left off. Compiling a record of seven wins and two losses in non-conference play, the team is pleased with the way things have started this season.

“Our season kicked off to a great start. It has been a blast! We played some pretty tough opponents right off the bat in our two preseason tournaments. All of our opponents have tested us, and we feel ready to compete in the MIAC,” Head Coach Rachelle Sherden said.

Last season, the team won the MIAC Conference title, and hope to repeat the same task this year. The team hopes to do so by working hard day in and day out. Despite the successes from last season, Coach Sherden and the Gustie players are taking nothing for granted.

“Just like the start to any season, we always remind the team that we have a clean slate, just like every other team in the country. Yes, we acknowledge that last year we did some pretty great things, but that has no bearing on our 2016 story. Our only expectation is that the team comes into the gym, ready to get after it and work hard every single day,” Coach Sherden said.

The team’s coaches are not the only ones that possess a fresh memory.

“Last year was an amazing year and one I will never forget, but once January first comes around, we only think about ‘the now’. Comparing to years past puts unnecessary pressure and expectation for our team that we should be used to on a consistent basis. Is there a target on our backs this year? Oh absolutely, but we always have high expectations in our gym and performance. This year, though, I think we all would love to go back to the National Tournament and really just end the season with no regrets,” Senior Taylor Trautman said.

Trautman, who is a returning MIAC all-conference player, is one of only two seniors on the roster.

“Being a senior this year does change the game a little bit, I think it does for any athlete in that upperclassman position. Lots of people look up to you for advice, guidance and leadership and to be a role model and represent the program. I don’t believe I am treating this year any different than any other year as far as my mental game, but it definitely is always in the back of my mind that this is the last time around and I want to do everything I can for myself and my teammates to make it a positive last year and really leave my mark,” Trautman said. As Trautman mentioned, many of the members of the youthful team will be looking up to the leaders of the team this season.

One underclassman player who is continuing her vast success from last season is Sophomore setter Nora Holtan.

“Nora Holtan runs our offense really well. Our defense is doing a great job of keeping the ball off the floor and making it possible for Nora to get the ball to our attackers,” Coach Sherden said.

Holtan, who was named MIAC Rookie-of-the-Year last season as a freshman, has already been named MIAC setter of the week once this season and was a member of the Loras College Invitational all-tournament team.

When asked about her nomination to the all-tournament team, Holtan wasted zero time giving all credit to her teammates.

“I was very honored to be named a part of the all-tournament team alongside my teammate, Hanna Albers. Hanna and I definitely were given this award because of our team’s success at the tournament. Our team played so well as a whole and we played gritty throughout the four matches. We wouldn’t have been a part of the all-tournament team without our team by our side. I do not like to think a lot about personal awards because my main goal is to play to the best of my abilities for my team so we can be successful,” Holtan said.

Holtan believes that the success from last season will push the team to greater successes this year. The Gusties hope to continue their early season success when they open up conference play this week, hosting Bethel University on Wednesday, Sept. 14 at 7 PM.