Gustie of the Week – Sun Hee Lee

If you ask her students what they appreciate most about Professor Sun Hee Lee of the English department, it’s that she truly cares about each of her students individual success.

Students spoke of her approachability, calm and down-to-earth demeanor, and flexibility as contributing to her success as a teacher.

“I think Sun Hee’s greatest strength as a teacher is her attention to each student’s individual success.” – Meg Crosby

“I think Sun Hee’s greatest strength as a teacher is her attention to each student’s individual success. She is very approachable, flexible and willing to help students academically or any way possible. She is a great discussion facilitator, allowing students to reach important concepts and ideas through their own conversations,” Senior Meg Crosby said.

This care and attention to students doesn’t limit itself to the classroom. Many of Sun Hee’s students talk about their interactions outside of class with her as being some of their favorite moments.

When she’s not professing, Sun Hee is constantly pursuing scholarship in her field of U.S. Ethnic Lit.

“I remember seeing her after a summer and she just went ahead and gave me a hug. I was so overwhelmed and happy to realize that beside friends, I have really made a connection at Gustavus. I am an international student, so being so far away from home I feel so welcomed, accepted, and loved to be around Ms. Sun Hee’s presence,” Sophomore Noah Nguyen said.

Her care for her students manifests itself largely in her patience with students. With her calm and down-to-earth demeanor, she is an excellent discussion facilitator and able to push students in their thinking.

“Along with learning course material, Sun Hee is apt to make sure students understand the fundamentals of creating an argument and being an all around good classroom citizen. Ultimately, Sun Hee works to ensure every student leaves her classes as a better critical thinker and writer,” Sophomore Megan Johnson said.

And as much as students enjoy engaging with Sun Hee, she enjoys the engagement with them.

“I love the time in the classroom when I get to discuss amazing works of literature or film, and have meaningful conversations with smart and thoughtful people. I love the special moments when I feel that students have been pushed beyond their comfort zones or previous ways of thinking. My favorite moment is when I see students on the verge of discovery,” Sun Hee said.

Sun Hee’s students describe her as approachable and down-to-earth.

“It’s a privilege to continually expand my mind and improve myself.” – Sun Hee

Sun Hee specializes in U.S. ethnic literature, particularly Asian American, Chicano/a, and Native American Literatures, and she currently has a few works in progress.

One is an article on analyzing bilingual identity formation in the works of Julia Alvarez and Richard Rodriguez; another on women’s post 9/11 literature; and last a book length study in comparative U.S ethnic literatures.

“Outside of teaching, being a professor allows me to cultivate an intellectual life in the subject that I thoroughly value.  It’s a privilege to continually expand my mind and improve myself,” Sun Hee said.

When asked about the most challenging part of teaching Sun Hee said the “daily grind,” especially as the semester wears on at the end. But the engagement with students and amazing discussions she has with them keep her going.

So if you get the chance to take a class with Sun Hee, whether it be on 9/11 Film and Literature or a J-term on Tim Burton, don’t shy away!