Women’s Tennis: Teamwork key as the Gusties eye a MIAC Championship

After a very strong start to the spring season, the Gustavus Women’s Tennis team hopes to continue and build on their success throughout the rest of the season. The team is currently undefeated in conference play, with a record of eight wins and zero losses, with one of the biggest victories being an 8-1 home victory over conference rival St. Thomas. Overall, the Gusties hold a 17-6 record on the season. The team’s success has been backed by strong performances throughout the season by the entire roster, top to bottom.

Junior Michaela Schultz, who has played in the #1 single and doubles position for the Gusties nearly all season, has recently been named MIAC Tennis Athlete of the Week for the third time this season.

“I am very grateful for the Athlete of the Week recognitions. However, I am only one small piece of the puzzle. I fit into my place on my team and I am thankful I can help contribute to my team’s successes as we go out and compete each weekend,” said Schultz.

As Schultz has fit into her so-called “piece of the puzzle,” so has the rest of the team, creating a beautifully constructed puzzle that has dominated conference play so far this spring.

After defeating St. Thomas last week, the Gusties are in the driver’s seat for taking the conference crown. Next week, the team will host Carleton College, an important match for locking up the MIAC regular season title.

“So far, we have won all of our MIAC games. We have an afternoon match against Carleton and winning that will bring us to the top of the MIAC Conference. I don’t know for sure if that will be the main win that we need, there may be a few more, but that is the one that is the most important for us,” Sophomore Lauren Ihle said.

The top six teams in the conference make it to the MIAC playoff tournament, and the winner of that tournament earns an automatic bid to the national tournament, which takes place in May.

“We had a very good win over St. Thomas last week and are grateful for that. Our season is not over yet and I expect some of our biggest wins to still come,” Schultz said.

However, Schultz went on to comment about how this season is so successful due to reasons off of the tennis court.

“I must say the biggest wins for our team this year have come off of the court of competition. Our team chemistry continues to grow every day, our commitment to each other is indescribable, and we play to inspire each other during every match,” Schultz said.

Hopefully, this team chemistry will show through as the team makes a push for a national tournament bid in the coming weeks.

The Gusties take the court next on Saturday, when Martin Luther College and Carleton College come to town for the final home meet of the regular season. The team then travels to Macalester College on May 1 to close out the regular season and, hopefully, a sweep of the MIAC Conference.

More success is to be had for the Gustavus Women’s Tennis team this spring, and with their dedication, chemistry, and determination, there is a good chance that the opportunity for a MIAC Championship will not be missed.