Gustie of the Week – Solveig Svendsen

Commonly, the Gustie of the Week is a junior or senior student simply because they’ve had a bit more time to develop their niche within the community. However, this week, sophomore Solveig Svendsen has challenged that archetype, proving that one doesn’t have to be an upperclassman to make noticeable impacts.

“I came to Gustavus with the intention to dive right in. My dad always said ‘close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades,’ which I feel influenced me to always take on important roles and see them through to the best of my ability,” Solveig said.

During her first year, she immediately fulfilled that intention by confidently and successfully running for the position of ethics chair in Student Senate.

“When I first met Solveig, I was blown away with her passion and confidence. She was a first-year going against upperclassmen for an important position on Student Senate. She knew that it would be an uphill battle, but her confidence gained the trust of the Senators and I think she has beyond fulfilled every expectation,” Senior Bobby Rasmussen said.

“I was not surprised to see her chosen for the Lucia court this past December. Solveig is a leader. She is focused and driven, unstoppable.”—Sue Gunness

Along with joining the Student Senate, Solveig also decided to take a risk and join something entirely foreign to her, so she became a part of the rugby team.

Solveig decided to join rugby in an effort to branch out.

“I had never participated in a team sport until I came here and joined the rugby team. It’s been hugely beneficial to experience the different dynamic as I was much more used to individual oriented activities. I’ve also developed wonderful friendships with the girls,” Solveig said.

Those who’ve come to know her say that developing friendships comes naturally to Solveig as her personality is one they were immediately drawn to.

“Solveig has a presence that makes you smile. She’s goofy but on the ball and is an asset to whatever activity or organization she joins because she does not merely participate but contributes to it and makes it a better and more fun experience for others,” Senior Jessica Gold said.

She’s made such an impact within the community that this year she was even chosen for the Saint Lucia court, which she says has been one of her proudest moments at Gustavus.

“Solveig has a presence that makes you smile and she is an asset to whatever activity or organization she joins because she does not merely participate but contributes to it and makes it a better and more fun experience for others.”—Jessica Gold

“I was not surprised to see her chosen for the Lucia court this past December. Solveig is a leader. She is focused and driven, unstoppable. Yet she will have fun along her journey because of her ability to make work ‘play,’” Visiting instructor in Theatre and Dance Sue Gunness said.

Solveig hopes to work to improve medicine in women’s health.

“I came to Gustavus with the intention to dive right in.”—Solveig

On top of everything, Solveig maintains a passion for learning. She’s currently pursuing a major in Biology with a minor in Dance with the hope to one-day work toward improving medicine for women’s health.

“It’s an area that’s disappointingly lacking within our nation. I want to help provide women the resources they need to understand and take care of their body,” Solveig said.

While she still has a few more years at Gustavus, her peers and mentors can already say with confidence that Solveig will continue to help others in the future.

“I think Solveig will be successful in whatever she chooses to do and I have a feeling her measurement of success will not be the paycheck she receives; rather, I believe she will measure it by the fun she has and the people she helps,” Rasmussen said.

One thought on “Gustie of the Week – Solveig Svendsen