Senior Spotlight: Sarah Rozell

This recurring segment will highlight a senior Gustavus athlete each week.

Q: What are your expectations for the upcoming season?

A: After going to Hawaii and taking on three different Division II teams, I think the team really has something special this year. We fared well against the teams we played in Hawaii and going 4-2 against some very good teams is a great start to what looks like very a successful year.I think the team has a great shot at winning the conference title and the tournament, and going far into playoffs. In Hawaii we got to see that everyone on the team plays a role and contributes to each win.

Q: What is your best athletic memory?

A: My freshman year, we played St. Thomas at home and we had two great games against them. The first game, we took them to extra innings and ended up losing 5-7 in 10 innings. I pitched the second game of that double header and we won 4-0, my third shut out in a row, and I earned MIAC pitcher of the week because of those shut outs. The more important part of beating St. Thomas was that they had 53 consecutive conference wins before we split that double header with them, and being able to say that I shut them out was just a bonus.

Q: Why would you recommend Gustavus?

A: When I first toured Gustavus, I had no intention of going here. I just agreed to go on the tour to appease my mother’s wishees. I had verbally committed to play softball for a division II school in St. Paul and had no intention of changing my mind. When I finally came to Gustavus, I absoluteley fell in love with everything about the school. I met with the coaches and realized that being part of this program was something I just couldn’t turn down. The academic opportunities that I found here were way better than anywhere else that I toured and playing softball was just a bonus of being a great school.