Tales from Abroad: France

TalesAbroadMauraOn Jan. 8, after a day of delays and freezing temperatures, I left Minnesota bound for four months in Nantes, France. I had never left the continental United States (not even Canada, folks). Yet, here I was boarding a plane to be greeted on the other side of the world by people I’d never met. I was scared, excited, anxious, and overwhelmed. I was alone. I could not get out of my mind how independent and grown up I felt.

A few hours later, I found myself in Charles De Gaulle Airport in Paris, in a sea of strangers speaking rapid French. I was lost. Where was the curiosity and sense of adventure that had prompted me to take this trip? I felt panicked and small. I remembered then that although I was indeed traveling alone, I was surrounded by other people. Millions of them. In all my pride and newfound freedom, I’d forgotten that you can always ask for help.

So I did. Again and again and again. In garbled, hesitant French, I made my way by train and taxi to my new city. I arrived at this perfect little French apartment and was greeted by my wonderful host mom. In the weeks that followed, I made friends, I visited castles, I saw the ocean, I drank wine (lots of wine), and I found a new appreciation for the world of French cheese (they’re all stinky, but that means they’re good).

I’ve found that life moves slower here and I’ve learned to savor each moment, frequently over a cappuccino and a pain au chocolat. I’ve discovered the convenience (and inconvenience) of public transportation. I’ve witnessed protests and strikes, in true French form. I’ve enjoyed many conversations with the Nantais, who love to discuss politics, current events, movies, and food. I’ve been blown away by the fashion and dismayed by all the smokers. I’ve written papers, visited museums, and taken exams, all in French (thanks to the amazing French department at GAC, I owe it all to you). Day after day, in all of these beautiful moments, I’ve continued to ask for help.

In reaching out to those around me, I’ve found that there are beautiful, kind, genuine people, all around the world. I set off on this journey hoping to gain a sense of independence, to better myself, to grow. I forgot that along the way, I’d find more than myself: I’d find all kinds of new people. On a recent trip to Paris and Germany, I had so many positive encounters with strangers (sometimes even without a common language).  Of course, every person you meet will not be all rainbows and sunshine, but I promise you that there is so much more good out there than there is bad.

I miss Gustavus every day and I can’t wait to come home in May, but thinking of leaving this country with all its stinky cheese and warm baguettes makes me want to cry. My host parents have truly become family and this city has become home. In this quest for independence, it seems I’ve found that we are never truly alone at all.