Gustie of the Week: Jenny Marquette

Gustavus students are not only known for their success within the realms of academia. We have an image in which we strive to better ourselves through service and leadership within our college community.  Junior Jenny Marquette exemplifies this image. Jenny is involved with CAB, Sigma Sigma Sigma, GOLD, and Breaking Barriers.  In addition, she has also been involved with Student SPILL, Crossroads, TAG, and Elders.

Jenny takes pride in leading by example and continually strives to improve as a leader through maintaining a positive attitude and open mind in all of the clubs and groups she belongs to. Vinny Bartella

Jenny joined CAB as a first-year out of a desire to take a larger role within campus life. The position appealed to her at the time because a commitment could be large or small, depending on the participant. She joined the CAB J-Term board and continued her rise into leadership in the spring. She was immediately given opportunities to prove herself by completing large projects.    “The Special Events executives at the time (Lisa Klass and Ashley Neaton) really believed in me and trusted me with bigger projects, and getting that affirmation from upperclassmen really helped me out,” Jenny said.

The following year, Jenny had the opportunity to be Co-Special Events Chair, her preferred position on the board. She has had much success within her leadership position on CAB. Jenny inspires those who work with her to reach their full potential.

“Jenny is a fierce leader. Anyone who knows her or gets to talk to her for more than five seconds can tell that she loves what she does. She wants and expects the best. Because I look up to her as a leader, I do not want to let her down. She invests more time than there is in a day and puts 110% behind every single detail,” CAB Weekends Executive member Hannah Miller said.

Breaking Barriers, another club with which she is affiliated, allows for a forum in which students and faculty can have discussions regarding racial privilege, gender, sexuality, or any other taboo topic without fear of judgment.

“Breaking Barriers is something I got involved with my freshman year and I actually feel really passionate about,” Jenny said. She said that the group had many “productive” discussions and looks forward to their continued discussions this year.

Her friends maintain that Jenny dedicates herself to a cause and sees her goals to the end, no matter the cost. Those who have known Jenny longest attest to her strong leadership and loyalty.

Being so heavily involved in on-campus activities means that Jenny spends plenty of time in the Gustie Den.  Vinny Bartella
Being so heavily involved in on-campus activities means that Jenny spends plenty of time in the Gustie Den. Vinny Bartella

“Jenny loves development of self and understanding one’s personality in order to become a better leader. She truly understands how important the cultivation of leadership skills is and the ongoing process of leadership development,” Gustavus GOLD co-coordinator Allie Kalkman said.

“Jenny was someone who saw the potential in me. If not for her and a few other members of CAB, I don’t think I would have pursued it any further. I consider her, at this point, a mentor and a friend. She is  incredibly relatable as a leader and someone I am excited to work with this school year,” Miller said.

The women of Tri Sigma are extremely supportive and proud of Jenny.

Jenny joined Tri Sigma out of a common belief in their mission and philanthropy. Sabrina Vleck, a longtime friend of Jenny’s and Sigma sister, believes that she is an “incredible sorority woman.”

The opinion of the masses points to Jenny’s continued success in her future leadership roles at Gustavus.

Members of CAB express a prediction that she will continue to grow through her involvement on the group’s leadership board.

“Immediately, I knew she was someone I wanted to get to know—I looked up to her. She conducted herself professionally but was approachable and hilarious. Without a doubt she was ready for bigger and better things after last school year, and with her stepping up as Co-President she is only going to keep growing,” Miller said.