Gustie of the Week: Chooey

Matt Wasson: professional yet chill

Senior Communications Studies Major Matt Wasson, who goes by Chooey, is a kid at heart who isn’t intimidated by hard work.

“I look for new challenges and fun in everyday. I try to have at least one meaningful conversation everyday that leaves me with a smile,” he said.

He got his unique nickname, Chooey, from his brother who couldn’t say his name right when they were kids—he would say “Machoo”—and decided not to spell it “Chewy” out of a fear that the granola bar company would be mad at him.

One project that Chooey has been excited about lately was the Gavin Degraw concert last friday night. As the Concerts Executive for the Campus Activities Board, he helped to plan and implement all aspects of the concert. This concert was a huge project and even allowed Gustavus to get national exposure on ABC’s Dancing with the Stars. 

Chooey has been supervised four concerts including this past weekends Gaven DeGraw concert. Melody Monyok.

Chooey’s role in the concert planning is one he says he “fell into” because a friend and fellow Greeter Kyle Goodfellow ’10, asked him to join the committee. The Gavin Degraw concert is the fourth that Chooey has supervised. He also oversaw Tyrone Wells and Dan Rodriquez; Quiet Drive and Cedar Ave; and Eric Hutchinson and Tyrone Wells.

“I love that its constantly evolving,” he said, “There’s always something new that you’re working on.”

Chooey says that he loves his job because of the service it provides to the student body, “Students come together through music,” he said.

“It has been my pleasure to work with Matt the last two years. He is mature beyond his years, is always a step (or four) ahead of me and his authenticity is undeniable,” Andrea Junso said.

Chooey also works in the President’s Office. He was recommended for the job during his sophomore year, was asked by Barb Larson Taylor to intern for his junior year and has continued this commitment into his senior year.

“It’s a way for me to be able to stay busy and find new challenges. I love to share the fun things with other people,” Chooey said.

“Matt has played a substantial role behind the scenes planning and implementing many aspects of the Sesquicentennial as an intern in the President’s Office,” Barb Larson-Taylor said. “He loves to be busy and to work hard.  It seems sometimes the harder he works the more fun he is having.”

Chooey has also worked on the Dive Renovation Committee, Seniors 150 committee, Big Partner Little Partner, Gustie Greeters, Hoffman Center and planned this year’s back to school bash.

“With a work ethic that is second to none, it is no wonder that Chooey is so involved on campus.  Somehow he continues to find new things to be involved with, things that few know how much work it really takes,” Tyler Grey said.

Chooey choose his major because he saw the change he was able to accomplish in his first Communications Studies class.

“I came into school thinking I would want to be a teacher, took Public Discourse as a first year and found a solution in my hometown of Duluth,” he said. “The professors and students are pushing to do better and ask the big questions.”

“The professors constantly challenge students to become engaged and competent and passionate young professionals,” Chooey said of the Communications department. He now serves as a Teaching Assistant for Lee Brammer’s Public Discourse class.

“I love helping them with their projects,” he said.

When he graduates, Chooey will work for Target Corporation in the West Metro.

Ultimately, the most important things to Chooey are having great relationships.

“Making strong connections with people is what drives me—making people come together through whatever occasion,” he said.

“Chooey is a really good friend that will always be there for you no matter what the situation is. He takes pride in his work and strives to make others happy on a daily basis,”close friend Senior Dan Brockberg said.

Ultimately, Chooey’s positive attitude prevails.

“Everyone’s gotta grow up but you still can have fun.”

One thought on “Gustie of the Week: Chooey

1. Thanks for sharing, Layla! David’s my fivorate American Idol, too! The next time you head toward Hotlanta, swing through Jacksonville and I’ll make us a glass of iced tea! I live in a 100-year-old farmhouse that’s a fixer-upper, too! My front porch is always open for company. BTdubs, my daughter lives in Buford and shops at Queen of Hearts ALL the time! Why, girl, we’re practically family! LOL