RE: Green Grant

I am writing in regards to the recent article about the “Green Grant.” While I was initially excited to see this article in the Weekly, upon reading it I was disheartened to see that many of the people who got this initiative going were not mentioned.

Last year I was the Chair of the Compost Committee for Student Senate. My committee was formed after a constituent came to me asking if the Senate could look into the possibility of composting on campus. We had numerous members of the Senate serve on this committee, along with the constituent and other students at large who were very interested in this issue. My committee spent the better part of a year researching composting possibilities, attending webinars and ultimately creating a composting plan of action.

We presented that plan of action to the full Senate, who passed a resolution in support of our plan, which we then took to President Ohle. After reading the article, it appears that our plan is going to be implemented, much as we presented it to the President.

I am not writing this letter to get my own name out there or to spite the people that were mentioned in the article. I simply want students to know and give credit to the people who put a lot of effort into getting this plan off of the ground. Some of those people are Steve Kjellgren and Jim Dontje, who tirelessly assisted my committee with their insight and faculty support throughout the process. I also want to acknowledge the constituent who brought this issue to light, for without her research and effort, this plan would have never come to exist.

Sean Cain Skjerping ‘11