Gustie showcase spotlights student artists

The Campus Activities Board (CAB) will host the Gustie Showcase at 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 16 in the Courtyard Cafe. CAB is best known for bringing outside talent to campus, but this event will demonstrate how much talent is already on the hill.

“It really gives Gusties a chance to show people their talents and I think people really like to see other Gusties perform,” Senior Environmental Studies Major and CAB Coffeehouse Executive Michelle Palm said.

“The Showcase will primarily feature singers and songwriters with guitars. Sometimes people throw us for a loop and bring trombones or violins—that’s fun.”

Palm expects at least ten different acts to perform throughout the evening.

“This is a really great, unique event that CAB hosts. Lacey Squier (’11) developed the Gustie Showcase in 2009 as an opportunity for students to show off their incredible talents to a supportive group of their peers,” Senior Political Science Major and former Coffeehouse Executive Jen Fox said.

The Showcase will likely include new acts as well as several returning performers.

“I really like seeing my friends perform, but it is also fun to see people you’ve seen around campus, but you would never really expect to see perform. Complete shockers, they’re my favorites,” Palm said.

The event will feature performers of all different levels of expertise and experience.

“Showcases were one of my favorite events, looking back. I loved to watch my fellow students shine,” Former Coffeehouse Executive Kady Johnson (’10) said.

Senior Computer Science Major and Veteran Performer Max Beyer will return for his third year to entertain fellow Gusties with his guitar and harmonica.

“I like playing the music in front of people. It is nice to actually play to someone other than my computer monitor. It is a great audience to play for and I have met some other really cool people at these events,” Beyer said.

The Coffeehouse Committee is looking for a variety of artists to perform at the Showcase.

“I think it would be fun if there were more musical instruments represented. I want to see [Senior History Major] Scott Doebler and his tuba,” Palm said.

“I would like to see someone who is bored enough to construct a PVC pipe instrument and play it. It would be really crazy and impressive,” Beyer said. “G Sharp, the premier a cappella group on campus, should sing. They’re really great, in fact, I hope I don’t play right after them.”

There is still time for performers to sign up. Contact Palm (mpalm@gustavus.edu) to sign up or to find out more. It is a more relaxed event and she would love to hear from interested performers up to the day of the Showcase.

“People should feel free to perform. It is a super fun opportunity and a very relaxed setting,” Palm said.

The Gustie Showcase is well on its way to becoming a campus staple, as another one of CAB’s highly anticipated events.

“It’s incredible to see how talented students are, musically or otherwise. I didn’t know what to expect when we had the Open Mic night in September and I ended up really enjoying it. I’m excited to see more students perform, but honestly, I’m a sucker for a musical act; that’s why I joined Coffeehouse this year and I definitely made a mistake not joining it last year,” Sophomore Political Science Major and Coffeehouse Committee member Nick Nigro said.

CAB is always busy planning events around campus. Tickets went on sale yesterday for the Minnesota Wild Hockey game on Nov. 17, a group will be attending Mixed Blood Theatre’s Gruesome Playground Injuries Friday Nov. 11  and guest speaker Phillip Milano will be in Alumni Hall on Dec. 8, 2011 to deliver a talk entitled: “I Can’t Believe You Asked That!”

These special events are in addition to the regular campus events CAB is responsible for, such as the weekend movies and Gustie Cup tournaments.

Events hosted by CAB are open to all Gusties and are thoroughly publicized. People can find out more about the Gustie Showcase and future events on posters throughout the Jackson Campus Center, Facebook (www.facebook.com/GustavusCAB), Twitter (twitter.com/gustavuscab), foursquare (foursquare.com/gustavuscab) and through the Gustavus website (gustavus.edu/sao/cab/).