Re: In which our hero voices an unpopular opinion

I write in response to Mr. Lundborg’s recent commentary on the Fair Trade industry. I would agree that FT is not without its problems. It might not bring great economic success to developing countries, and I would applaud an effective plan to work with these countries in solidarity for a more just economic order. However, particularly looking at the chocolate industry, I would not so quickly condemn FT.

According to The Better World Shopping Guide, “Recently, the ILO, UNICEF, and the State Department uncovered the widespread use of child slave labor in the chocolate industry —up to 40% of all chocolate is currently being produced that way.” I would also recommend viewing a documentary called The Dark Side of Chocolate. If you buy from a major chocolate company, you probably create demand for slavery. If only 10% goes to the workers in the FT industry, how much goes to the workers in the regular chocolate industry?

Rather than asking “Is most of the money going to the workers?” a better question might be “Are all the workers earning a living wage in tolerable conditions?” I do not have answers to these questions, but I trust Fair Trade more than other companies. Rather than a condescending “savior” mentality, I think of FT as some sort of assurance that the workers get fair treatment in an imperfect system.

Efficiency keeps prices low, but it cannot be considered an absolute good, especially when it is built upon child slavery. Your dollar is a vote. Choose wisely.

Ian Shay ‘13