Lydia Benge Briggs

Communication Studies Major Lydia Benge Briggs is a ball of energy. She exudes it from the moment you see her. Luckily, she has found a number of outlets for her energy, including LineUs Improv Comedy Troupe, Choir of Christ Chapel, Gustie Greeters and the theatre department.

Lydia’s energy has also been recognized as a wonderful tool for creating great friendships. “Watching Lydia interact with her friends is such a joyful event.  She shows so much love in all of her actions, a million hugs a day and so much laughter. She is always excited to see someone.  I really appreciate how well she treats other people,” Junior Sociology/Anthropology Major Ben Batz said.

Lydia is clearly very involved in making the Gustavus community a great and fun place to be. According to her friends, Lydia has a talent for meeting and befriending new people. “She’ll remember a person’s name. Always. And then she’ll use it when she sees them again,” Sophomore Anna Ayers Looby said who is Lydia’s roommate.

One of the ways Lydia uses this talent is through welcoming new students as a Gustie Greeter. “Greeters has been one of the best experiences for me, and I’m thankful to have been able to do it as a sophomore. Right away I knew that’s what I wanted to do. Right away when I saw them on campus, I thought they were so fun and I thought it was such a great tool to help people,” Lydia said. “I loved everything about orientation my first year, so being able to lead new students through that experience was such a good fit for me.”

Members of her Greeter group  seem to agree that she’s found a good fit. “In the short time I’ve known her, she has made me feel like I belong at Gustavus,” First year Bethany Schulz said.

Lydia is also involved in the Theatre department at Gustavus. She was in Arabian Nights last spring, as well as the Shakespeare Showcase last winter. “I love the theatre department here. They’re really fun. I love the social justice slant. It’s really cool to be able to do theater with a message.” Lydia said.  “So many of the productions here have some weight behind them, and because they have a message that elevates it even more.  You’re sending this message or making this statement, and yes, its entertainment, and yes, it’s fun, but it’s cool to see what you can do in theatre.”

Although Lydia loves the content and message of the theatre department, she is once again drawn to the community of the department. “My favorite part of the theatre department is just the people in it because they’re so welcoming and it’s such a little family within the department. Once you take a class, you’re in, whether you’re acting onstage, building sets for the show, running the light board or anything. You’re a part of this thing that is greater than just you.”

Theatre isn’t only serious for Lydia, though; it is also a lot of fun and games. She is a member of LineUs, the improv comedy troupe on campus. “LineUs is awesome. It’s just for fun, and it’s one of the most fun things I’ve ever done. It’s a really cool way to get together and make laughs,” she said.

The humor Lydia uses for LineUs, she also uses in her daily life. “She’s hilarious. When I come home from a long, stressed day she can change my whole mood around with a few, short quips.” Ayers Looby said.

Being invovled in the theatre department is taking Lydia places, literally. She went to London over January Interim Experience for a course in theatre. “We got to see theatre at its finest. We got to see, like, 20 shows, and that was just incredible, to see what kinds of things you can do with theatre.” Lydia said.

You don’t have to worry about this community-building girl going anywhere, though. “I’ve been thinking about Gustavus lately, and I’m just so happy I’m here because I think it’s just such a great place to be. I love the community here. I love going around and seeing people who I’m happy to see and who are happy to see me,” she said.

Schulz noticed Lydia’s positive attitude. “She’s always happy to see you, and that’s definitely not something I can say about everyone.”

Though her theater minor is a large part of her life, Lydia’s true passion lies in her communication studies major. She is excited about investigating her own personal interests. “My adviser told me that I should be taking classes that are answering the questions that I am asking,” Lydia said. “What I really like about the communication studies department is that you’re not just sitting there while someone talks at you for two hours. So many of the classes that I’ve taken, and what I really think classes are turning into, are more like semester-long projects rather than you just sitting there and taking notes on something and then getting tested on it,” she said.

“I was in video representation last semester, and we made documentaries about Latino immigrants in the St. Peter community because there’s a fairly substantial population living in St. Peter of immigrants that people really don’t even know about. I think that these sorts of classes really open up your eyes to life outside Gustavus, and I think that’s where you’re really going to learn things for the rest of your life. You are going to be out doing things and trying to make changes, and that’s why I am in the communications department and not elsewhere,” she said.

Lydia is truly an original individual. As Schulz said, “She’s hilarious and nice to everyone, and genuinely goes out of her way to make you feel welcome and accepted.”

2 thoughts on “Lydia Benge Briggs

1. Howdy, this is actually a great posting. You have my vote for this and I am going to bookmark this website now.