Gustavus: You got served

Ryan Henrickson certainly does not look like a first-year student, but the former Army soldier is starting his first year here at Gustavus. The 24-year-old first-year, who intends to double major in political science and French, is an Army veteran who served in both Afghanistan and Iraq.

Ryan enlisted in the Army in 2003 but did not begin serving until he graduated from high school in 2004. He was compelled to join the Army both by his family’s deep-rooted military tradition and by the events of 9/11, which had a profound impact on him. “My mother says that it was on 9/11 that she knew I would go into the Army,” Ryan said.

In December 2003, Ryan enlisted in the Army. He began serving shortly after his graduation from Northfield Senior High School in May 2004.Ryan studied Korean at the Defense Language Institute and Aviation Operations at Fort Rucker, Ala., from 2004 until 2005, when he headed off to Fort Drum in New York.

Ryan was sent overseas to Afghanistan in 2006 and served at Bagram Air Base, about 30 miles northeast of Kabul, until 2007.  Bagram Air Base is the central air hub for the National Aviation Tatical Operations force in the northern half of Afghanistan. There he worked as a mission planner, “involved in planning personnel moves, air assaults and resupply missions to far-outlying posts in the northeast of the country,” Ryan said.

While in Afghanistan, he also worked as a liaison with coalition partners, including France and Germany. “Afghanistan is a beautiful country, not at all like the sandy deserts people imagine when they think of the region. Though I’ve never personally been, people have told me that northern Afghanistan looks like Colorado from the air,” Ryan said.

After serving in Afghanistan, Ryan worked in Aviation Tactical Operations in New York. “I got to work with many pilots and had a lot of fun with that.” From 2008 to 2009, after his stint in New York, Ryan was posted in Iraq at Consolidated Operating Base Speicher, near the city of Tikrit. He worked there as a liaison in charge of loading personnel and cargo, “almost like a ticket-agent,” Ryan said. “Iraq was very different from Afghanistan. I enjoyed Afghanistan a lot more than Iraq,” Ryan said.

Ryan is proud of what he has done to contribute to the nation’s armed forces and the war effort. “During Operation Enduring Freedom VII, my office coordinated the aerial movement by our aviation battalion of some 50,000 personnel and 9,100 tons (18.2 million pounds) of cargo,” Ryan said.

“He managed the assets of our battalion with skill and finesse, ensuring we provided the best customer support we could to the guys bringing the fight to the militants in eastern Afghanistan. He did so with humor as well as competence,” Army Captain Brian W. Burbank said, one of Ryan’s former officers-in-charge and current head of the Mankato Recruiting Company.

Ryan is doing his part to support veterans here on campus.  “It would be my privilege to help create a veteran’s fraternity organization or a chapter of the Student Veterans of America in order to support my fellow veterans in the transition from the military to civilian life,” Ryan said.

“Ryan is really dedicated to helping his [fellow veterans].  He is not just doing this for something to put down on a resume. I think he feels called upon to serve,” Junior Political Science Major Jake Schueler said.

Ryan chose Gustavus because he “wanted a world-class, private, liberal arts education.” He intends to study his passions of French and political science. “I’ve really gotten back into the academic swing of things,” Ryan said. He also admits that he enjoys all of his classes regardless of their rigor. Here at Gustavus he has already impressed many with his dedication and amicable disposition.

“I met Ryan in our Gustie Greeter Group. We’re both from Northfield! Ryan is a good student; he’s smart, experienced and very social. It is incredibly easy to talk to him,” First-Year Nick Mullenmeister said.

“Ryan does not just let the world pass him by.  If he doesn’t agree with something, he will let you know, but in an extremely polite and considerate way,” Senior Management Major Andy Neal said.

Ryan is set to marry his fiancée, Jenny Strobel, who is a Doctorate Student of Physical Therapy at the Mayo School of Health Sciences, on June 25,  2011. Ryan has considered possibly attending law school in the future but is letting fate decide where he ends up.

“Ryan was a great soldier.  Although I was saddened to learn the Army has lost a valuable asset, I am glad that Ryan is continuing his education and will serve this great nation in another capacity in the civilian world,”Burbank said.

3 thoughts on “Gustavus: You got served

1. Ryan: THANK YOU for your service!! Welcome to the Gustie Family!! I hope you do work to create a veterans organization/network on GAC campus.
    As a GAC alum who has supported several Gustie friends, as well as direct family members, as they serve in the US Armed Forces, I welcome your dedication to create a Veterans’ group to support returning veterans in transition and Student Veterans of America. This has been and continues to be an extremely necessary, yet often overlooked, aspect of volunteering in our country. Please let us know how GAC Alumni can help.

Best wishes & Peace,
    Nikka Deskin

2. Ryan,

I spoke with your Uncle Bruce Mohs at the Gustie/Johnny game last weekend and he mentioned that you were attending Gustavus. I am cousins with Bruce on our father’s side of the family (Nick and Donald(Buddy)) and my son is a senior at Gustavus. His name is Michael Mohs and he plays on the Gustie football team. We will be down next Saturday for the St. Thomas game and Bruce mentioned it would be nice to introduce you and Mike. Take care and hope to see you Saturday.

Paul Mohs

3. I am an Army Veteran. I loved my time in the Army. I learned so much and in some ways I still feel the Army in my blood…as I do Gustavus. It would be great to have a Gustie network of Veterans!