Cameron Clause earns All-America honors for second straight year

Senior Cameron Clause was one of two Gustavus track and field athletes to qualify for the 2014 NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships, along with Sophomore Sarah Swanson. Clause competed in the heptathlon, and scored a total of 5,065 points throughout the two-day meet to place fourth and earn All-America honors.

Clause’s performance was one for the record books— his point total was the second best heptathlon score in Gustavus history, behind his own record score of 5,088 points, which he earned at this year’s MIAC Championships. This is the second consecutive year that Clause has been named an All-American, which is the first time since 2003 that a Gustavus athlete has earned the honor more than once.

Last year Clause came from behind to earn fifth place in the heptathlon. This year, after the first day of competition, Clause was in last place, but a personal best time in the 1,000-meter run earned Clause a fourth place finish and the All-American title.

“Earning All-American honors for the second time is really something special and I am grateful that I have been given the opportunity to do so. It is reassuring to know that all of my hard work during the offseason and the regular season has paid off. When I first started doing multi-events, I knew that I could be good at it, but I had no idea that I would eventually qualify for Nationals and place at the meet. Probably the biggest lesson that I have taken from competing at the national meet twice, is that you should never give up, even if you are in last place— I came back from last place to earn fifth and fourth place,” Clause said.