Saying “I like you”: Creative party hosting

Hello, and I like you.’ This is what you’re saying when you invite somebody into your home, without having to hear yourself say it,” writes actress/comedian/author Amy Sedaris in her how-to book for hosting parties. Appropriately called I Like You:

Hospitality Under the Influence, Sedaris has filled her nearly 300-page hilarity with recipes, lists and decoration ideas to help us readers with the art of party hosting.
I fell in love with this book and its author a few years ago when my mother received it as a (semi-teasing) Mother’s Day gift. I’m not sure my mom got Sedaris’s humor.

But even with the suggestive title and even more suggestive content, my family thought it was appropriate coffee table reading and set the book atop our always-growing pile of literature in our living room. That’s where I got hooked.

I spent a good three hours reading the book cover-to-cover, taking to heart all the great advice Sedaris was offering. To learn more about yourself before planning a party, she writes, “make a self-esteem collage using pictures of other people you wish you were.” To be a good guest, she advises to “bring something practical that they’ll know they’ll use, like butter.”  And as for mood lighting: “Candles cast a nice glow, but don’t overdo it; you’re not hosting a sacrifice.”

I write this not as a plug for the book (although I do highly recommend it), but as a plug for fun party hosting. I’m not talking beer-keg, loud-music, vomit-in-the-lawn party hosting. I’m talking about the type of party where the host is genuinely concerned with his or her guests’enjoyment. I’m talking about a party with more class than plastic Solo cups.

Perhaps this is difficult to do being college students, especially living on campus with limited space. But I’d like to think it could be done. This past year my friends and I have attempted a few parties inspired by Sedaris, making some accommodations based on our living arrangements (i.e. lack of a kitchen in the Southwest Suites). Having acquired such knowledge, I would like to some tips for party hosting, collegiate-style:

There’s more to a party than alcohol. Anyone can host a booze-fest. Just buy a few kegs and send out a mass-text to the first-years. Creative party hosting involves attention to location, décor, food and activities, not just what’s available to drink.

Plan in advance. Because of Tip #1, more time is needed to host an enjoyable, creative party. Think a few weeks in advance, instead of that Friday afternoon as you daydream in your last class. You’ll also be able to bring back useful items from home while on break, such as that giant sombrero, three boxes of Glo-Sticks and your assortment of the finest tribal temporary tattoos.

Make friends with people in apartments. While having a party in a dorm room or suite is possible, it is definitely easier in an apartment. Make friends with those you know who live in an apartment or house by whatever means you choose so that you can usurp (I mean “borrow”…) their living space. A popular bribe in my friendship circle is to offer the right to name your first-born child, but I also suggest homemade baked goods.

Be courteous. The walls in any campus building are thin. That being said, be respectful of your neighbors. While it might seem like a great idea to have a Tribal Drum Circle themed party (those tribal tattoos would be handy here), your neighbors might not appreciate your enthusiasm. Drum circles belong in the Music Building or in the Arb during a full moon.

With the final month left of classes upon us and summer around the corner, what a better time than now to host a creative party? It’s a great way to let people know you like them. Plus, if you invite me, I’ll be sure to bring a useful gift, like a stick of butter or postage stamps. Party on!

6 thoughts on “Saying “I like you”: Creative party hosting

1. Awe! I’m glad we found each other too during the blog party. I was not going to do Twitter for a long time as I did not need one more thing to do. Now it is my thing and I alerry check FB

1. I like you is an brilliant! Amy Sedaris did a great job in writing this book. I totally recommend it!

2. This blog is nice and amazing. I love your post! It’s also nice to see someone who does a lot of research and has a great knack for ting, which is pretty rare from bloggers these days.
    Thanks a lot !
    Pilot license

3. I feel that it is best to write extra on this subject. It won’t be a taboo topic but generally persons are not sufficient to talk on such topics.