President’s Ball tickets on sale

Gustavus’s 28th annual President’s Ball will take place on Saturday March 19. This Gustie tradition, planned by the Campus Activity Board (CAB), will be held in St. Paul at the Riverfront Crowne Plaza. Entertainment will be provided by the Rockin’ Hollywoods, as well as a DJ and a special performance by the Gustavus Swing Club. The event will begin at 5:00 p.m. with a social hour, to be followed by dinner at 6:00 p.m. and dancing from 7:00 to 11:00 p.m.

According to CAB, President’s Ball is one of the top student-attended events on campus, with about one-third of the population attending. All students are invited to the event. President Ohle will also be attending and giving a speech before the festivities begin.

Students who have attended in the past have many positive things to say about the tradition. Junior Biology Major Ali Anderson had a fantastic time at last year’s President’s Ball, which was held at the International Market Square in Minneapolis. “It was really fun,” Anderson said. “There was a live band, good food and a really cool set-up where we ate overlooking the dance floor.”

Sophomore Elementary Education Major Lauren Rothschiller also raved about the event. “My President’s Ball experience was great last year. I enjoyed every minute of it. My favorite part was getting ready with friends before, and then dancing the night away. The music was so much fun to dance to, and all of my Gustie friends were there,” she said.

Rothschiler also explained that a date is not necessary to go to President’s Ball. “I went with a big group of track kids,” Rothschiler said. “I had a blast. As far as a date, I don’t think you need one at all.  I went with my boyfriend and a group of people. I definitely think it’s more fun to have a bunch of people in a group to eat and dance with.”

President’s Ball is commonly compared to prom, but Senior Communication Studies Major Bergit Nerheim claims that the two dance experiences are very different. “I’ve gone to President’s Ball every year and I love it. The Rockin’ Hollywoods are absolutely fantastic and the food is so good. I can confidently say that each one has been more fun than all of my high school dances combined,” Nerheim said.

According to Ellen Liebe, one of the CAB members in charge of planning President’s Ball, “The atmosphere is in between prom and a wedding reception.” The event is likely compared to prom because it’s a chance to dress up, go somewhere nice and let loose with friends.

Kim Aasgard, a senior communication studies major, feels the President’s Ball is a unique experience busy college students don’t get very often. “I went my first year. It was fun to get dressed up like I used to for high school dances. The music was crowd-pleasing, fun to dance to, and the food was delicious too.”

President’s Ball is a formal event, but is much more meaningful than just any other formal dance. “President’s Ball is a time for students and faculty to come together and celebrate our wonderful Gustavus community,” Liebe said.

Ashley Neaton, the other CAB member in charge of President’s Ball this year, “It’s a super amazing event. I have never heard of anyone who hasn’t had a blast going. It’s a fun, spring-time dance where friends get to dress up and look good together while celebrating Gustavus.”

In addition to great food, live music and dancing, there will also be a free photo booth for students to use throughout the night.

Tickets are $25 each and will be available on gustavustickets.com until Monday, March 14. Gustavus provides coach bus transportation for students. A ride to and from the Crowne Plaza is available for an extra $5 per person.

This is definitely a tradition to be a part of. “It is such a great part of the Gustavus experience,” Rothschiller said. “I would definitely recommend it for any Gusties who haven’t been yet.”

One thought on “President’s Ball tickets on sale