Valentine’s Day on the hill

Around this time every year stores across the United States stock their shelves with red and pink paraphernalia, anticipating Valentine’s Day. It is almost impossible to escape it. Jewelry commercials bombard us with ads for heart-shaped necklaces on television and sites like teleflora.com plaster the Internet with reminders that there is nothing better than a dozen long-stem roses to “express our love.” This commercialized Valentine’s Day leaves many feeling disillusioned as to what the holiday really means. Is Valentine’s Day truly about our love of each other or about our love of stuff? Thankfully, many students on the hill have already pondered this question and have some thoughtful insight.

Brandon Hirdler, junior gender, women and sexuality studies and history major, shares in the frustration of the commercialization of the holiday. “Valentine’s Day is a great excuse to celebrate love and sex, but why is America doing it in such an artificial way?” Hirdler asked. “If one truly cares for their significant other, don’t fall short and only show you care this one day. Show them every day of the year.”

This feeling was shared by several students, including Junior Gender, Women and Sexuality Studies; English; and Religion Major Elizabeth Coco, who agrees that showing your love for those around you “should be a priority every single day.”

But Valentine’s Day isn’t all bad. “I really do think that Valentine’s Day should be seen as a positive thing,” Irma Marquez, junior political science major said; “a genuine day of showing love to those around you.”

Keisha Bates, senior biology major, said that while she thinks the holiday is very materialistic, she likes the idea of “having an entire day devoted to love and romance.”

So, single or taken, if you’re looking to celebrate on February 14 and want this year to be particularly memorable, your fellow Gusties have some advice. If you’re in a relationship, “do whatever you two have dreamed about doing together,” Jack Boardman, sophomore physics major said. “Cruise downtown or [go to] a park together and then [see] a movie or watch your favorite TV show to follow. Just spend quality alone time, easy.”

Another popular idea was ice skating. “It’s a fun way to get out in the beautiful wintery air and then cozy up afterwards,” Senior Religion Major Meghan Myhre said.

Don’t be discouraged if you’re not in a relationship; Valentine’s Day can still be fun. “Plan out your evening with yourself or with friends as if someone was planning it for you,” Myhre said. “If you set out to have a fun evening with yourself or with friends, it will be a fun and meaningful evening.”

As far as gifts go, students by and large opted for gifts that had personal value. “It really depends on your partner,” Marquez said. “It needs to be something non-traditional and meaningful. For example, I would not want a Teddy bear and box of chocolates. The gift should be something that can only be shared amongst the couple.” Several people suggested going out for dinner. “Choose one that is atypical, like a Thai or Indian restaurant,” Bates said.

Whatever you do, Boardman suggests making your plans well in advance. “Take the time and go the extra mile,” Boardman said. “If you’re going to make whatever it is extraordinary, you need to commit. Take some time, plan and execute … preferably not the night before. They will definitely see your effort and have no choice but to enjoy [the] experience.”

Whether you’re single, dating or in a relationship, Valentine’s Day is what you make it. Remember that it is a day to celebrate all the relationships in your life, not just the romantic ones. So, get creative, make your reservations and choose your Valentine, because February 14 is almost here.

Valentine’s Day Memories

Puppy Love

I had a girlfriend who outclassed me by light-years, and my first real Valentine’s Day experience was about to take place. I hadn’t told my parents yet about her, because I wouldn’t hear the end of drama from them, so I had all my operations covert-style. I made a playlist of five songs that I dedicated to her, but my CD burner decided to get its knickers in a twist and wouldn’t work. I also made her a homemade card. Her favorite candy may or may not have also joined my half-baked display of puppy love.

Anyway, I didn’t see her until between second and third period, because the girls in my carpool thought time was a scientific suggestion and made me late to school. So, in this hurried, not-so-private moment lasting a sloppy 15 seconds, we exchanged hugs, gifts and goo-goo eyes. I gave her my iPod, for the moment, a piece of carefully folded notebook paper and a candy. The gift was complete with a heart-holding, glittery white bear, beholding a carefully folded and labeled piece of notebook paper (which, by the way, could have melted the sweaty make-up off of Ke$ha herself and turned it into Turkish silk.) Oh, yes, she liked my gift, I did get serious man-points, but the day was hers. I think she took into account that my gift only had value in its hours of pain-staking thought it demanded (sarcasm.) You betcha, lover toy, try again next time.

She broke up with me and had another boyfriend a month after that. It was a guy she met when we were dating. Next time, Jack, keep Nickelback out of it … John Mayer will serve you better. — Jack Boardman

Be my Valentine?

My sophomore year of high school, I spent the evening at dance rehearsal. I drove home late, by myself, stinky and sweaty. I got home and my parents were acting really funny.

My mom gave me a pair of folded socks and told me I had to go put them away in my room. I went up to my messy bedroom only to find my soon-to-be boyfriend dressed in a tuxedo, sitting on my un-made bed with my dirty clothes, holding a bouquet of yellow and pink flowers and a teddy bear. Then he awkwardly asked me to be his Valentine! I said yes, but felt extremely underdressed. — Megan Myhre

2 thoughts on “Valentine’s Day on the hill

1. LOL, I’ve to say the on the internet dating or electronic dating has come a long way from the days of straight forward chat rooms. Far more and far more people are turning to on the internet dating websites to display possible dates.