Monday, September 30
- Campus Safety investigated a theft in the Fine Arts building.
Tuesday, October 1
- A Gustavus student reported the theft of a poster from the outside of a room in Sohre Hall.
Wednesday, October 2
- Campus Safety investigated a ‘damage to property’ report on College grounds that occurred the previous week.
- Campus Safety responded to a medical assist in the Lund Center.
Thursday, October 3
- A student reported the theft of a bicycle from the bicycle rack at Prairie View.
Friday, October 4
- Six Gustavus students and one non-student were cited for underage consumption while in Gibbs Hall. One student was cited for underage possession and a social host violation.
- A Collegiate Fellow noted a poster torn off their door in Gibbs Hall.
Saturday, October 5
- Campus Safety responded to a medical assist on College grounds.
- Campus Safety responded to a medical assist at Confer-Vickner.
Sunday, October 6
- Collegiate Fellows responded to an alcohol violation in Norelius Hall involving one student.
- Three students on College grounds were cited by Campus Safety for underage consumption. One student was cited for underage possession of alcohol.
- Collegiate Fellows noted torn door decorations in Sorensen Hall.
- A Gustavus student was cited by Campus Safety for underage consumption and underage possession of alcohol on College grounds.
- A Collegiate Fellow and Campus Safety responded to a possible policy violation in Sohre Hall.
Tip of the Week:
Campus Fire Safety Month
The Minnesota State Fire Marshall’s Office was recently on campus to film a campus fire safety video that will be used as a resource for all Minnesota colleges and universities. A dormitory fire drill was also captured in the footage as all the dorms practiced their evacuation procedures as part of state-wide and National Campus Fire Safety Month activities.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, more than 3,800 university housing fires occur each year in the United States, causing millions in property damage, injuries, and deaths. The fundamental issue is a general lack of knowledge about fire safety and prevention. Cooking is the leading cause of fires (over 83 percent), followed by arson, open flame heating, and careless behavior. Students can practice safe behavior by following a few simple guidelines:
- When cooking, stay in the kitchen area and pay attention to the cooking process. Leaving food unattended, for even a minute, can be deadly. If a pan starts on fire, cover it with a lid and turn off the stove. Never throw water on a grease fire as it will spread the fire.
- Never ignore fire alarms. Do not wait to see fire or smoke. Know the exit routes from your building and the designated evacuation area. Never go back into a building that is being evacuated.
- Campus housing is equipped with smoke and carbon monoxide alarms and fire suppression sprinklers that are inspected routinely. If you live off-campus, inspect your smoke and carbon monoxide detector and make sure the battery is changed at least once a year.
- Do not use candles or incense. They are a fire danger. Consider flameless candles. Avoid overloading wall outlets and using extension cords. Consider use of a power strip.
- Smoking is the leading cause of fire fatalities and is not allowed in Campus Housing. Always put your cigarette out completely. Cigarettes can smolder for hours and start a fire long after you go to sleep.
- Alcohol consumption is often a factor in campus fire fatalities. Alcohol can impair judgment and hamper evacuation efforts.