Nicole Meyer – A pillar of the community

She hails from Sparta, Wisc., a place near and dear to her heart. But she goes to Gustavus, and it, too, has found its own place in her heart. Senior Communications Studies Major Nicole Meyer, aka “Sparta”, is a Gustie through and through.

“I’m not sure what it was about this place, but I just got a really good vibe when I was here, something that didn’t happen when I visited other schools. I really like knowing people and feeling a strong sense of community. I figured I would have an experience like that coming to a smaller school. And that turned out to be true,” Nicole said. “The sense of community that I feel here is great. (I keep talking about “community.” [It] makes sense … I’m on the community pillar in the Market Place.) When I walk around campus and say hi to different people, it makes me feel like I’m at home. I think it’s pretty great.”

Friends would say she’s at home here, too. In fact, the one word that came up most when talking about Nicole was community.

She is one of those people who brings about a community. She is that sweet, sticky person that brings it all together,” Senior Psychology Major and Nicole’s former roommate Jovanna Jensen said.

Jon Kasprisin, junior chemistry major, agreed. “She is a huge part of the Gustavus community, to a point where it seems everybody knows her. Nicole is also able to passionately strive toward things while asking important questions and being willing to change,” he said.

Not only is community important to Nicole, but friends are, too.

“Because she is so friendly, almost everyone knows her on campus. She loves connecting with people and forming relationships, whether friendships between herself and another or helping along another relationship, a sort of matchmaker,” Sophomore Biology Major Mara Edison said.

It’s easy to see that the Gustavus community is as excited to have her on campus as she is to be here.

“She can talk to just about anyone; Sparta gets along with almost everyone she meets, and she has a unique way of making others feel comfortable. She can get strangers talking and help bring friends closer together. Nicole is an unbelievable networker. Everyone knows Sparta,” Senior Biology Major Katie Webster said.

Everybody knows her because she seems to be everywhere on campus including one of the pillars in the Market Place. She’s been involved in Big Partner Little Partner, Women’s Rugby, interned at the Diversity Center, is the co-president of Queers and Allies (Q&A), has played trumpet for Gustavus and has worked with Habitat for Humanity.

For the moment, her most involved role is with Q&A. To Nicole, the most important things about her leadership in this group is “creating a sense of community, within the Gustavus community. Everyone wants to be surrounded by people who are either like them, or who accept them for who they are. That’s why we have Q&A. We’re a support group for each other. Just as former members have helped me in the past, I hope to help students become more comfortable with themselves, too, and realize that sometimes the things that make us different actually turn out to be a good thing.”

It’s obvious she puts her communication major to good use, getting involved and creating discussions on campus. But after she graduates, it’s another story.

“Ideally I want to be the next Ellen Degeneres. But realistically? I really don’t know what I’m doing come May when I graduate. To be honest, I don’t really want it to happen. But I suppose I can’t really stop it from happening. … All I know is that I would like to make a positive impact in the world in some way or another. And make just enough money where I can go on trips to really cool places,” Nicole said.

Whatever Nicole does, she’s sure to have friends close by.

“Sparta is one of the most innovative, exciting and thoughtful individuals that I know. She is excited about life and cares deeply about her friends,” Webster said. “She is a type of person who makes you think about yourself and the world around you in new ways.”

“When she chooses to give, she gives tenfold. She knows who she is and radiates with confidence and boldness. Not to mention, she is silly and funny and enjoys life freely for all to witness,” Jensen said.

Photos by Clark Kampfe.

2 thoughts on “Nicole Meyer – A pillar of the community