Evan Curtin: Balancing school and parenthood

Evan attributes much of his college success to his advisor, Sujay Rao, who has helped Evan strike a balance between college and raising a child. Lindsay Lelivelt.

Evan Curtin has been a Gustie since day one. The son of Department Chair and Professor of Philosophy Deane Curtin, Evan really got to know his way around campus before most students were in kindergarten.

“I’ve grown up here. [Gustavus] is my home. My first day on campus was before I was three months old, and I went on a study abroad trip to Kansai Gadai in Japan before I was one. In high school, I took PSEO classes up here, and it saved me from going crazy. So really, I’ve been a Gustie all my life,” Evan said.

Evan is a senior history major and devotes a lot of his time to the history department. “In my opinion, it has by far one of the best faculties at the College. I think history allows you to have a truly well-rounded liberal arts education that really isn’t available in other majors. Through history classes alone, I can have in-depth conversations with people in fields as far apart as economics and philosophy, and everything in between,” Evan said.

Not unlike most Gusties, Evan’s free time is few and far between. However, when most Gustavus students go home to their roommates in dorms and apartments, Evan goes home to his son Brogan.

“He’s three. He’s wild. He loves Star Wars and dinosaurs. … In my time outside school, I enjoy playing with Brogan and reading him stories. That takes up the vast majority of my time. We also do art projects, and lately he’s been really into experiments with cooking,” Evan said.

“When I have the night off, I usually come up and study with my friends. They let me hang around for hours at a time, and for that I’m eternally grateful. It helps a lot to be able to de-stress and share in the camaraderie of college life. … If it weren’t for my friends giving me a place on campus to come and hang out constantly, I think I’d go crazy,” Evan said.

Evan has called Gustavus home for almost his entire life. As the son of Professor of Philosophy Deane Curtin, Evan studied abroad before he was one-year-old and spent much of his high school career on campus through PSEO classes. Lindsay Lelivelt.

Having to balance the stress of college life with the responsibilities of raising a child is not something which many students at Gustavus deal with. But, Evan has learned to make it work and is making the most out of his time at Gustavus.

“Evan is an upstanding fellow.  He works hard in balancing the responsibilities of a father and a full-time student simultaneously,” Senior History Major Keegan Fraley said.

Even with a full schedule, including school and Brogan, Evan still takes time out of his day to help his friends.

“It’s great that Evan can balance education with fatherhood. The ultimate educator is a parent, which shines through in his vested interest in everyone’s success, not just his own,” Senior History Major Natalie Baker said.

Friends and professors have been a big help to Evan.

“The saving grace has been my adviser, Sujay Rao. If I have a problem I usually go and talk to him. He’s spent an absolutely ridiculous amount of time helping me deal with balancing college and a child. There’s absolutely no way I’d still be in college without him,” Evan said. “When I first started going to school again, Brogan was just a tiny baby and I felt completely out of place and overwhelmed. Sujay made me feel welcome on the first day and went out of his way to make sure I was able to cope with my first semester. If it weren’t for him, I highly doubt I would have continued.”

Having a child can make it difficult to be involved in much else on campus, but Evan wouldn’t want it any other way.

“Being a dad is the best, most fulfilling thing I’ve ever done. I absolutely love spending time with [Brogan], teaching him new ideas and skills and watching him develop,” Evan said.

One thought on “Evan Curtin: Balancing school and parenthood