Party like its 1999

Remember when? Way back then? Back in the ‘90s? Grade school. Trading class pictures, Jello pudding packs and morning recess. Nap time. Good God, bring back nap time. We used to be young and wild and free, and now we’ve got jobs and debts and awkward social situations.

But let’s forget all that and for a brief amount of time, think back to what we used to (and admit it, still do) love.

Take music for example. There’s no denying that the 1990s had its own unique style of sound. The Backstreet Boys, The Spice Girls, Britney Spears, 98º, *NSYNC, Christina Aguilera, Nirvana—so much to love.

“[The] first CD I bought was Spice Girls, ‘cause I loved the song “Wannabe” but bought the wrong CD, which didn’t even have that song on it,” Junior Biology Major Dan Shimek said. “I thought Sugar Ray and Blessed Union of Souls were edgy and alternative.”

Of course, we can’t forget about Hanson. “My sister and I literally wallpapered our rooms with pictures of Hanson from BOP magazine. Middle of Nowhere was my first compact disk purchase. Zachary Walker Hanson is forever and always my favorite; I have a thing for drummers, and the way he looked at me at their last show—I regret not posting the missed connection on Craigslist,” Senior History Major Natalie Baker said.

Boy bands weren’t the only thing that the ‘90s brought to the world of music. “Music was defined by the Now That’s What I Call Music! CDs (Now, Now 2 and Now 3),” Junior Psychology Major Josh Plattner said. Since its original debut in 1998, there have been 32 more editions of Now That’s What I Call Music! made. Who knew?

TV shows have really changed since we were in the single digits. “I was all about T.G.I.F. At the start of the weekend, ABC was where it was at for my siblings and me. Some of our favorites were Boy Meets World, Hangin’ With Mr. Cooper and Family Matters. But, primarily, I was raised on Full House,” Junior English Major Sibley Mattson said.

Full House was at the top of many students’ lists. “[I watched] Full House because great things come in pairs. I always knew the difference between Mary-Kate and Ashley. Because Mary-Kate is a babe and a dream friend of mine,” Baker said.

Of course, ABC didn’t have the monopoly on great TV back then. Let’s not forget about Nickelodean. Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Pete and Pete, The Secret World of Alex Mack, All That (so much vital information for your everyday life)—all staples in our afterschool agenda.

“I watched alot of Clarissa Explains It All because I wanted to be Clarissa. Our house had only one floor, but I wanted to have a ladder at my window just like she did. Her neighbor Sam always climbed up and hung out with her in her room—which now that I think about it is totally creepy.” Senior Classics Major Emma Ellingson said.

Music and TV in the ‘90s were great. But what really mattered were the toys. Polly Pockets, Hot Wheels, Yo-yos and Pound Puppies were all the rage.

“I was obsessed with Skip-it and I had a Ribbon Dancer, both of which broke due to overuse,” Plattner said.

Among the variouscards and trading games, Pokémon cards took over the U.S. in 1998.

“I participated in Pogs but hated playing for keeps cause I didn’t want to lose my cool Pogs. I did the Pokémon card thing, spent way too much money on that,” Shimek said.

Electronic toys were also all the rage. Game boys and Tamagochis were as natural on the playground as a soccer ball.

“I loved Giga Pets, I just couldn’t have enough of them clipped to my belt loop,” Mattson said.

“We had an original Nintendo on which my brother and I played Mario for hours,”Ellingson said.

Of course, back then imaginations were still a big part of playtime. “[My brother] and I played Power Rangers together or pretended we were dinosaurs from The Land Before Time. The original, never the sequel. He was Spike and I was always Sarah, which is fitting because he never talked and I bossed him around,” Ellingson said.

Fashion in the ‘90s was almost as bad as the ‘80s. But that’s what made it so great. Hyper color t-shirts, neon track jackets, the lingering stirrup pant trend. And who could forget the NFL starter jacket trend?

“I know I enjoyed a good Jelly Shoe now and then. I also had a short stretch in which I think I wore stirrup pants. Every day,” Mattson said.

“Clueless was the epitome of nineties fashion. All outfits had to match perfectly. You weren’t allowed to mix prints. The best place to shop for this was Limited Too.

Tommy Hilfiger and Calvin Klein were extremely popular. When it came to wearing name brand their stuff was the way to go,” Ellingson said. ”I wore huge hair bows. Huge neon colored t-shirts. I wore leggings all the time—the kind with the stirrups so they wouldn’t ride up—with socks that had ruffles or beading on the edges. I’d pull the socks up over my ankles, to cover up the stirrups and to show off the decorative details. I wore plain white Keds.”

The ‘90s are long gone, leaving us with some great memories and a whole lot of stuff to sell on ebay when we’re older.

2 thoughts on “Party like its 1999

1. Judging from the the topic and amateurish manner the author/editor wrote this article, she’s probably around 22 years of age. 1999 was only a decade ago — I wouldn’t call that “long gone”. Lindsay, you’re still a kid, and it shows.

2. C’mon Jerry that’s a bit harsh. Memories are memories, no matter how long ago and just becuase you are an old git who doesn’t want to remember, or maybe can’t then it’s no excuse for being so tetchy. I’m an eighties person and have lots fo great memories from that era including some great live music performances. It doesn’t matter what era you remember fondly, just savour those memories now as in 40 years they may well be cleared from your grey cells.