Weekend forecast: Cloud Cult makes it rain

<em>Photo submitted</em>
Photo submitted

Loosely described as a folksy, experimental alternative rock band that doesn’t really stick to any specific genre, Cloud Cult offers a unique experience for concertgoers. Scheduled to perform on Saturday, March 7 at 8:00 p.m. in Alumni Hall, Cloud Cult is sure to impress.

Cloud Cult hails from Minneapolis, MN and has been together since 1995. There were a few other bands considered to play on campus this year, but Cloud Cult was the final selection.

“[The fact that] they’re from Minnesota helped the decision [making] a lot,” said Senior Management Major and Campus Activities Board Concert Executive Kevin Clevette.

The band consists of Midwest locals Craig Minowa on lead vocals/songwriting, Connie Minowa and Scott West as visual artists, Sarah Young on cello, Shannon Frid on violin, Shawn Neary on bass and Arlen Peiffer on drums.

Cloud Cult’s shows also feature live painting on stage.

“The paintings during their shows bring together the senses of sight and sound, which is explosive for your mind and heart,” said First-year Catherine Keith, who has seen the band perform before.

“I’m stoked to see them paint while they play,” said Sophomore Karina McQuarrie.

The painting isn’t just a good visual when the music plays. After each show, the paintings are sold to the highest bidder. The money raised with each painting is used in an environmentally friendly way.

“I think it’s pretty cool that they auction off their paintings to buy green certificates to offset their [carbon footprint] during tour,” said Clevette.

That’s not all the band does to help benefit the earth. According to the band’s website, all Cloud Cult products and merchandise are 100 percent post-consumer recycled, and “the band has planted nearly a thousand trees to absorb pollutants from travel and manufacturing.”

Their environmentally friendly ideals were another main reason that the band was chosen to perform this year. “The green aspect of their whole tour appeals to a lot of people at Gustavus,” said Clevette.

Lead Singer and Songwriter Craig Minowa formed his own record label in 1997, called Earthology Records. The label’s buildings are powered by geothermal energy and were constructed with recycled materials.

“They are just way more concerned about the earth and are actually doing things about it, and they are just amazing,” said Keith.

This event is free and open to the public.

One thought on “Weekend forecast: Cloud Cult makes it rain

1. I am an artist from MN, who recently just moved back home, and live in Northfield, MN. I am contacting you because I am preparing a show to open in April 2010, that I would like to commission Cloud Cult to write music for. I also several other areas I would like them to participate if interested.

I have been a long time supporter of the band, and will be attending their concert at First Ave. this spring. One of the items I wish to discus at a meeting with you, and hopefully the band as well, is I am hoping to shoot the band as they prepare and work for one of my abstract pieces. Attached to this email is my artist vision for my work, you can look it over to give you a general idea of what I am creating.

My vision for this show, would be that it shocks the world, and travels to every major museum in the country, and hopefully beyond. Cloud Cults music almost serves as the spinal cord for my as I work, and feel it would be an amazing thing to be able to share that along with the experience of the show. I look forward to hearing from you, and setting up a time when I could meet with you and discuss this email in more detail. The sooner the better, if possible. The reason is, I need to have a complete budget together before I can submit it for funding, and I would really like to have the band involved in several areas, which we can discuss. Very exciting stuff!! You can reach me anytime on my cell phone listed below. I look forward to speaking with you soon!

Warm Regards,

Erin Burgess-O’Donnell
    c 630.440.2090
    h 507.301.3273
    erineburgess@yahoo.com